Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Difference

I was just reading Monkey’s post, and at first I had to re-read what she meant when she wrote “See You Next Tuesday”… Then I got it and it reminded me of something I’ve said once and how embarrassed I was without really knowing why.

As you (may) know, I’m French-Canadian. My mother tongue is French. My parents never spoke a word of English, nor did they understand it, even if they owned businesses and all. I picked up English first while playing with kids in the alley behind our restaurant. Then a bit in school, the basics like “Kick the ball, Sandy” – “All right, Tom!” type of thing. When I got into high school, I was told my English was good (go figure!) and they put me into an advanced class. After a few classes they reviewed my case and re-assigned me to a beginners class (mucho better ‘cause I couldn’t understand a thing!). My English got better and ended back in the advanced group. I had a few English friends; they could hardly speak French, which was great. I got to practise a lot.

Hubby and I were members of a badminton club, and one girl, who became a friend, had just moved here from England. Often we would compare the way we’d say things, and how different the same language was being use. She had expressions that I loved, and that’s not even talking about her accent.
One day while we were sitting on the bench waiting for our match, I mentioned something and wanting to be proper used the “See You Next Tuesday”. She was in shocked, and let me so. She told me how much she despised that word, etc. I was just sitting there; completely unaware of what I had said wrong, and why she was so upset. I was quite embarrassed, and it showed. I could have directed a plane for landing with my face alone it was so red! She then proceeded to explain how that word “See You Next Tuesday” was used and in what way. Even if it was the “proper” term, it meant something completely different. Now I get that “difference”, but back then I didn’t know.

Since I’ve been be Hubby my English improved a lot. At home we mostly speak English (for some reason), maybe because I used to give my karate classes in English, worked in English, only watched TV in English (except Sunday night for “Tout le monde en parle). When I started teaching karate the body parts I knew (in English) weren’t that commonly used in karate, so… at times I was having a hard time. The students were great and would often help me complete my sentences or correct me.

Once I wanted the guys to do some bag work, to toughen up their tibias. So once the bags were hooked up and the guys lined up, I gave them their instructions. One guy, older man by maybe 10 years, started hitting the bag with his face. I stopped the class, walked up to him, and asked why he was doing that. He simply answered, “Because you said so”. I had said to hit the bags with their chin, when I meant to say shin… Now I know the difference!

Isn’t it funny how things can get twisted around, how one little word can change the whole “mood” or context? It’s all a question of tongue and how well one can use it.

Or is that a question of language?!
___
Image

Explanation of "See You Next Tuesday", another way to spell CUNT

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

For many years I had a French Canadian Partner on the road..we traveled all over North America in big trucks..and it never failed we would stop for breakfast somewhere and he would order two eggs over easy, bacon and a pair of toast..which got all kinds of looks especially in the U.S...I still crack up when I think about it...We used to call him Pair of Toast on the CB radio

don't call me MA'AM said...

I'm stupid. I don't know what "See You Next Tuesday" means. ??

stinkypaw said...

nascar: I had to think about what was wrong with a "pair of toast"... so I guess I would have said that also! ;-)

dcmm: Hey you're back! You're not stupid... It's just not that obvious... C.U.... get it?

Seeker said...

I am English..... and I don't know what 'See You Next Tuesday' means either! I really don't think I have ever heard that expression.

Seeker said...

Oh, I get it now! Lol!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I admit it, I feel like a complete ass...I still don't get C...U...

I've never heard the expression either ?? Help ~

Anonymous said...

Since I started all of this- it is an expression which means a vile name for female genitalia. After C, U, the beginning of the next two words will spell it out.

Anonymous said...

I feel like a dumbass too because I didn't know what it meant until you explained it. Now I'm going to have to remember that one. Mwahahahahahahaha! ;-)

Anonymous said...

You know...I suspected it could be that....but it still seemed like a far stretch to me, not offensive in the least....Normally, English sentences are not really broken down by abbreviations are they ? Have I been living seclusion ? Is it possible I'm not as hip to society as I thought I was ? ;-)

lizgwiz said...

I thought that expression was pretty common--but apparently not! I would have liked to have seen the face of the woman you said it in front of. Hee.

Paisley said...

I have never heard of that expression either!

I went to a British school when I was little and I was so confused for a great while!

stinkypaw said...

seeker: glad you got it! ;-)

mousse: ditto!

monkey: Look what you did! Too funny that you had to explain it on my blog!

ananke: I thought it was fairly simple, like Monkey did I'm sure, hee.

liz: Well, like they say "never assume", right?! I remember feeling like an ass for using such a "bad" word without knowing it...

paisley: I had not either, but somehow it clicked when I read it out loud...

stinkypaw said...

Oh! I just added a fine print "explaining" what the expression really stands for... just in case...

Like Mousse wrote me: "Look at the reaction it's caused, quite funny."

Indeed! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Now that I know what this means, I can assure you they'll plenty of "See you next Tuesday" wishes from me....especially to the C's at my office, I'm surrounded !!!....Ha-Ha~

"Fine print explanation" nice touch...

Purple Pigeon said...

Until recently, I hadn't heard of that expression either, and now i can't remember where i did first see it... Anyway, soon after that, i was in a CD shop and there is a band called See You Next Tuesday. Tsk. Naughty naughty.

The thing is with where i live, i pronounce the word 'doesn't' as 'dunt' and 'couldn't' as....the bad word. Im ever so common. Its most funny when someone says something like ''I could do it!' and i go ''yer cunt'' and they look really offended, and i dont even realised I've said it. Tsk.

I'm trying to imagine your accent with the chin and shin thing. I bet its fab!

stinkypaw said...

pigeon: What do you mean "my" accent!? Hee. Takes one to know one! ;-)