Sunday, December 22, 2013

O Christmas Tree

Yesterday, in a local French paper there was an article which prompted me to take a picture of my (first, real) tree and share with the world to see, because what the author (Stéphane Laporte) wrote rang so very true with me.

Without further ado, let me present you, my Christmas tree!

Dec 22nd, 2013 - snow storm, freezing rain the whole deal for a real White Christmas...

It is so full that I couldn't even put all my ornaments.

We went to a local little merchant near our place, looked at a few, discussed the differences between a Fraser and something else, and bought this baby.  We brought it home.

That was Saturday, December 7th.  See how little snow we had?  None.  We had bought a stand especially for it, and once it was home, we put it in a let it "rest" or "acclimate" to being inside and relax a little.  On Sunday, I just had to decorate it.  It smelled so good.  I was truly enjoying it.

During the night of Dec. 8th or early morning Dec. 9th, I heard the sounds of Christmas balls clinking.  My first thought, when waking up, was "what is Tobi doing?" then I remembered that we no longer had a cat... Hubby got up and went to the living room, and next thing I heard was "What the fuck now?" I, too, made my way to the living room to see our tree laying on its side, with broken glass ornaments on the floor, and a naked husband trying to lift it up.  Our tree relaxed a little too much, it looked like.  We messed around with it, far too long for people who needed to be working in a few hours, cutting my foot in the process (because I was also barefoot and naked - yeah we sleep naked), but did manage to make it stand and made sure it was secure...er...

Yesterday, on my Bacefook status I wrote " I love sitting in a room lit only by the lights on the Christmas tree..." - there is something so relaxing and peaceful, I just love it.  Hubby, despite all the bitching he does, yearly, about having to log all my decorations from storage to home (storage is off site since we're living in a condo) will plug the lights on every morning, so that when I get up I see the tree lit up.  Did I tell you how much I love this man?  I do!

When I've read the article I've mentioned at the beginning,  I agreed with it.  The author is basically saying the Christmas tree is an endangered species, because many stores and public places are no longer putting them up. They prefer being neutral rather than showing a religious sign, and this even if the Christmas Tree has nothing religious about it.  It's a pagan tradition.  

Before, stores would almost compete to decorate and put up the nicest tree that would attract customers.  Nowadays, they think that by not putting one up they will attract customers but they are wrong.  Just think how many people travel, each year, to New York to see the Rockefeller Center Tree.  I know I would, and will do one year for sure. 

A Christmas tree is not only majestic, but it's does make the kid in us wake up.  I love it, just as much as I love Christmas.  It is a special time of year, and I'm not even thinking of anything religious, just the time of year where we get together with friends, and/or loved ones, where we give not only stuff but our time and attention to others.  Yes it does bring out the craziness in most, with the shopping frenzy and stress level getting higher, but when you think of it, what other time of the year forces us to see people we don't normally (and even often willingly) sit with and have dinner with?  

If only for that obligation we all, even Hubby, take time to see relatives we often don't, we get together with friends we often don't make time for and somehow, we do manage to squeeze everyone in and see them during the Holidays.  

In the article, the author wrote that if the merchants continue this way, they will make December 25th disappear and become just like any other day.  I sure hope it won't be the case, and for as long as I can (and with Hubby helping, because without his help I don't think I could) I will put up my Christmas tree and will go nuts with the gifts and Christmas cards.  I will do my best to keep Christmas alive, and like I told friends we were with yesterday, I always carry a little bell in my purse, since I saw "The Polar Express"...

At one time, most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe.

My wish for you, dear blends, is that you always truly believe in the magic of Christmas!

Merry Christmas!
   




No comments: