Monday, September 04, 2006

Mates I will be missing...

This weekend I’ve lost 2 guys that I truly enjoyed watching for very different reasons.

The first one, I’ve been watching for years, I even had a crush on him in his younger days that turned into respect for the man he was becoming. If you haven’t guessed it yet, I’m talking about Andre Agassi

Yesterday I got all choked up when I heard his farewell to his fans after his match against Benjamin Becker, at the US Open. When he said that the scoreboard showed that he had lost, but it didn’t show what he had won… that got to me. That man truly loved what he did and for that alone I admire him!

I will sure miss his attitude, his sense of style, his amazing returns, and his hairstyles, his wives (C’mon! How many men can say that they married Brooke Shields and Steffi Graf!?) and to top it off he seems to be a good person.

Like his coach and friend, Darren Cahill, said yesterday he would come to be remembered "as one of the all-time sporting greats, so not just a great in tennis but in all sports".

I sure will miss watching him play!

The other one, well, it’s a whole different style, but "Crikey!" I liked him in his own special way. I’m talking about the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin.

I didn’t have a crush on him or anything, and yes I thought he was a buffoon at times, but at the same time I could see that this man really loved nature and all animals… He was the real deal. He shares his passion with his wife Terri and their kids. I was stunned (no pun intended) this morning when I heard of his death, and then I thought that it must have been the best way to go for him, doing something he truly enjoyed...

On his web site you can read what his producer and closest friend, John Stainton said on Croc One today, “The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest Dads on the planet. He died doing what he loves best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. Crocs Rule!”

I will miss his energy and passion and my thoughts are with his family – I’m sure he will leave a big void!

...they both will, each in their own special way...
___

Photos: Agassi & Croc Hunter

10 comments:

Jason Stockl said...

Steve Irwin was a coll guy that really loved animals, but didn't he do some pretty dangerous (and potentially deadly) stunts?

(I don't know I never watched his show...)

Jason Stockl said...

cool, I meant cool...

stinkypaw said...

jason67: He was no doubt about it a true animal lover! And yes he did some pretty dangerous things with crocs and snakes, etc, and yet he died in a freak accident with the "supposedly" very inoffensive sting ray...

If there is a God, he/she/it has a very twisted sense of humour!

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Steve Irwin was larger than life, and helped put Australia on the map again. He was so full of passion for what he did, it was contagious. He will be hugely missed. I thought he was fabulous. Crikey !
Take care, Meow

princess slea said...

Of course all day today different networks were airing shows or clips on the Crocodile Hunter. One on the Animal Planet was really good that showed him in the early days when his father taught him to rescue crocs. I prefer this terminology because that is what it was "rescueing" these animals rather than "hunting" them.
Also Larry King aired his interview with him and it was touching. The way he talked about poachers and how they kill the humpback whales and other Antarctic animals and how he was determined to stop them...it choked me up.

~princess diaree (I changed my identity)

Purple Pigeon said...

I didnt know that Andre Agassi had married brooke shields....show you how retarded i am!

PreppyGirl said...

I love Andre too. I'm sad to see him go but at least he can enjoy retirement while he's still young!

I feel so badly for Irwin's family. Just wait until that video hits the internet. How horrible.

stinkypaw said...

meow: My sentiments exactly - thank you meow!

s l: He did some pretty amazing things and he will be missed by a lot!

elf: If you're using "retarded" as in "late" - then yes you are! ;-)

pg: I could spend hours watching Andre, he'll be hard to replace (for me at least) and Irwin as well - not too many like him around... I'm sure that footage will be out there before long... sadly enough...

don't call me MA'AM said...

Well said, I mean, typed. :-)

stinkypaw said...

dcmm: Thanks! I try to do good ;-)