Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Rough Morning

I’ve always disliked being disturbed in our home – like impromptu visits from door to door sales people (which is illegal in Pierrefonds, and yet a shit load of people still do it!) or my personal favourite: religious fanatics who want to convince me that their stuff is better than the other! I will buy the occasional chocolate bar from kids, even if Hubby doesn’t approve. I love chocolate so I give in to my stomach more than to my principle on this one. When Hubby is home and he does answer the door, boy is he rude! But that’s his way. Since Pooch has been living here (5 months today!), the doorbell ringing has become an issue. Pooch gets so pissed off when she does hear the bell (because she often doesn't), that none of us want that bell to ring.

Here’s what happened a few hours ago: Hubby left for work and I just finished breakfast, when someone rang the door. Pooch leaped out of her bed, hair raised on her back and barking like there’s no tomorrow. I picked her up and tried to calm her down, to no avail. She was really pissed! The fuckin’ Jehovah’s (two old men) were commenting on the barking when I told one of them “Yeah, yeah, just give me your pamphlet. I’ll read it. Bye!” The whole time Cathy was in my arms, barking, non stop. I closed the door and was petting her to calm her down. I took about 6 steps and put her down, when I saw the most horrible thing: as I put her down her little legs couldn’t hold her up and she tried to walk but was so wobbly that she tipped over and went down in a spread eagle. She was trying to get up but couldn’t. I totally freaked out!

I picked her up, and couldn’t feel her heart beat, and she was all limp in my hands… Let’s just say that my heart came up in my throat… I knew this day would come, but I didn’t want it to be right then! I was petting her frantically, talking to her and then I felt her little heart again. She looked so weak and defenceless. It broke my heart to see her like that. I could barely see through my tears, but I made my way upstairs with her in my arms, put her down on my pillow and called Hubby. I then called the vet’s office who told me to bring her in. While Hubby drove home, I sat next to her, petting her. She looked exhausted. I cried so hard, I can’t even write this without my vision becoming blurry, and at that moment I said my goodbyes to her the way I’d wish I would have done with my father. I know it’s crazy, it’s only a little dog, but she was my father’s and I miss him and there’s not a day that goes by when I don’t think of the old man and of how I would have loved to tell him how much he meant to me.

When Hubby showed up, we wrapped her in a towel and drove to the vet’s office. She had regained some energy by then and seemed more alert. She was examined, and because of her age and all, there are so many things that could have been wrong that they couldn’t tell me exactly what had happened. She had an episode.

She’s now sleeping next to me in the office, all curled up in a ball. I realised today that I want her to die with me. I told the vet that I don’t want her to suffer and I don’t want to see her deteriorate to the point of not being able to walk, etc. I thought I was bringing her in to be put down, but we left with her, alive.

When we got home, before Hubby went back to work, he unplugged all wires to the doorbell… just in case…

14 comments:

Galoot said...

Wishing your pooch a speedy recovery! You should get on the news and complain about what the solicitors did to your pet...

stinkypaw said...

galoot: Thanks! We were already on the news last week for the stink issues in our borough... a never ending fight that Hubby is leading, so... thanks but no thanks, I'll pass this one!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Stinkypaw! I'm so sorry to hear about the Pooch. I hope she feels better soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I am SO glad to hear that my little vacation buddy is okay. Please give her a pat on the head, and an extra treat for me. Thanks. S.

Trueself said...

SP, this brought tears to my eyes. It brought back memories of a dog I had from when she was 6 weeks old. She died when she was 13 years old, and I still miss her. I'm so glad you've still got your pooch for a while. Give her an extra hug for me.

stinkypaw said...

gg: Thanks! She's doing better, but actually she was doing better last night than she does this morning...

s: Hubby did gave her an extra cookie and pat, thanks S.

trueself: I've been "soaking" since yesterday basically. As soon as I think of her and how she looked, tears... Will do, thanks.

riana: Welcome and thanks - I'll eat chocolate no matter how bad (or good) it is for me!

SkippyMom said...

Oh bless you all's heart....and bravo to hubby for disconnecting the bell...

We had my Dad's dog for 2 years after he died and when he was hit by a car and passed I thought I would lose my mind.

It is so hard - but you love your little gal and are going to do the right thing...

HUGS!

Purple Pigeon said...

Bloody jehovahs witnesses! If they ever came to my door, id answer it in full on goth gear and go ''hmmmmmmmmm?''. Or better yet, answer the door in full on birthday party swing, and go ''You want me to do what?? Not celebrate??!! Come on, everybody piss off home, iv been converted...''

Poor pooch, and poor you! Its awful watching them get weaker. My cat really deteriorated before he died, and it broke my heart. Lots of cuddles to the pooch!

stinkypaw said...

skippymom: First let me welcome you to my blog! We get so attached to those little fur balls, and it's never easy to lose one. Thanks!

elf: I know about those door to door religions! Arrrgh!! I will pass on the cuddles!

MYM said...

Poor baby. I'm so sorry about that...but glad to hear she's doing better.

I had to make that very difficult decision about my pooch several years ago, she was 17. You're right that it's better to let her go then to have her suffer or be in pain.

stinkypaw said...

drowsey: We had to put her down 5 days later. It's been a year already on Nov. 19th

MYM said...

So sorry to hear that. I've had to make that decison twice and it's never easy but is the right thing to do...really the best thing for our furry friends.

Brave Astronaut said...

There is nothing like the unconditional love of a pet. I have had many experiences of losing a pet and it never gets easier. Never. Here's wishing your pup a long "retirement" with you.

stinkypaw said...

drowsey: I know, it wasn't easy...

brave a: She was only with us for a few more days after that episode. But I know her last few says were good ones...