Saturday, January 06, 2007

Sleep brings on dream.

I’ve been sleeping like crap for the last six months. I realised that it’s been that long while talking with Hubby about my lack of sleep. I’m reaching a point where I can’t function almost.
It reminds me of this blog I used to read where its author would complain about her lack of sleep, she went away on vacation and her blog disappearred. (I miss reading you “She wears plaid”, I hope you’re well…).
When we took pooch in I would get up with her, early, for her morning pee. That is when it all started. Then the hot flashes, which are keeping me awake or waking me which ever comes first… My mind is going, non-stop. I've tried meditating, reading, listening to music, pills, nothing really works... It's getting bad.

You know all the jokes about women and their menopause, no wonder we turn bitchy, we lack sleep and eventually it does affect our moods, even the best demeanoured ones... Not a fun time.

I had the strangest dream last night, which means I was “out” for a while, yeah! Can’t remember the last time I’ve dreamt. Oh yeah, it’s true; one needs to be asleep for one to dream! I forgot that part!

My dream:
It started in our bedroom. I heard noises and I could hear the rain (yes, it’s been raining here for the last few days, no snow yet ). I see, in the dark, this big panther sitting by our bedroom door watching me (That could be our black cat, in real life). Then I feel these claws on my chest, I look up and it’s a big owl sitting on my chest. That’s what the panther is watching, ready to pounce. I try to call out Hubby's name, sleeping next to me, but I have no voice and he’s sound asleep. I grab the owl and throw it at the panther. They ran off, but somehow (that’s the thing with dreams, isn’t it? ) the owl flew back in our room and hit the ceiling fan and fell on me. As the panther is about the jump on me I grabbed the bird again, but then the panther snaps at my wrist. One of his teeth is caught into my bracelet. Again I try to scream, but Hubby isn't waking up. I’m fighting with the panther to get my arm out of its mouth; I stand up on the bed trying to turn on the light and then remembered that the ceiling was on (which I actually did turn on last night, before coming to bed, to help with the hot flashes…). So, I ducked, jerked hard and managed to get unstuck. I go back to bed, and still hear noises, and then this goat jumps on the bed, and walks away. It does that a few times. Each time I try to talk but no voice.

Since I still hear noises, I get up and go downstairs. When I get down I see our whole ground floor totally upside down, somebody has been through all our stuffs – we’ve been robbed! Then I let out this scream, very guttural and think “There are people stealing our stuff, they still might be in the house, and I’m naked.”

That is when Hubby woke me, by putting his hand on my shoulder asking if I was having a bad dream…

Weird dream, hun? The weird thing is, this is not the first time I dream something like this: people are in our house while we’re sleeping… creepy!

Do you have any idea or interpretation of that dream? Let's hear it.

13 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I too suffer from severe insomnia - but didn't realize it could be related to menopause [I am SO coming back as a Man next time dangit] and I don't want to laugh at your misfortune b/c I completely emphathize - truly -

But that dream? The animals? Once again I broke the cardinal rule of "No liquids while reading her posts" - gosh - that was funny, funny, funny!

I hope you get some sleep -- and can look back at this dream oneday a get a giggle out of it as I did.

Hugs!

Libbe said...

I miss 'She Wears Plaid' too. That's how I ended up over here at blogger - looking for her, trying to find out what happened. I had a feed from here to my livejournal and all of a sudden everyone says don't go to her site it is messed up. I hope she is ok.

PreppyGirl said...

Holy shit Stinkypaw! That is one messed up dream. I always try to figure dreams out too. I'd say (in my totally amateur opinion) that the animals are insomnia. You keep fighting it and there's no escape. As in real life, there's not much your husband can do to help you with this - you have to figure it out on your own (thus your inability to wake him). You try to get to sleep again only to be wakened by the goat (insomnia). Perhaps seeing the room upsidedown and your things strewn about is the way insomnia is affecting your life. By the way - we're never naked if we're wearing our tattoos!

I'm struggling with hormonal issues too. I never had problems my whole life until last year. Sometimes I feel like I'd rather die than go through another period.

Good luck with the sleep. At least being up late night leaves plenty of time for blogging!

don't call me MA'AM said...

Yikes. Have you seen a medical professional? Maybe there's an underlying cause besides menopause? I don't know... just suggesting.

No idea on the dream, though. Yikes!

Biddie said...

I was wondering whatever happened to She Wears Plaid, too. I hope that she's ok...
I have no idea what your dreams could mean. None. I suffer from insomnia, but most of dreams are about vampires...Any guess on that one?

Purple Pigeon said...

hmmmmm i dont think that dreams have any sort of meaning, its just disjointed things you've expierienced at some point in the day/week. I usually get that dream where you are yelling at someone to wake up, but they either dont or you havent got a voice. The weirdest dream experience is knowing that you are dreaming, so you try and wake up, then you dream that you wake up, but then something surreal happens so you know that you are still dreaming....its all very confusing!

Sympathy from a fellow insomniac, it really does mess up ur energy and moods during the day. I hope it sorts itself out for you at some point, before you have a breakdown and end up rocking in a corner muttering gibberish. If not, you can join my crusade for 'night people'.

stinkypaw said...

sm: Menopause has many ugly sides, that's for sure, and insomnia is surely one of them! Men do seem to have it easier, don't they? Thanks for the hugs!

libbe: Welcome to my world! I hope she's ok as well.

pg: I like your interpretation and the animals being my insomnia... I've never thought of my tattoo as clothing before. Let's me tell you it doesn't cover much!
Being hormonal sucks, at least I don't get the periods and all the crap that came with it anymore - so I guess it's not all bad!

dcmm: I saw my doctor a week ago, and I think I'll go back when Hubby has his appointment next week - I want/need to sleep! Thanks!

life, or something...: Welcome to my world as well! I miss her too - insomnia seems to be affecting a lot of us... Vampire dreams? I'd say something like you feel that your "juice" is being sucked out of you (no real time for you, being pulled in different directions)... my two cents.

elf: I do think that dreams have some meaning, but it may not be the most obvious one. Yes our daily life will affect our dreams, and yet... I agree it is strange to dream that you're dreaming and being aware of it - that's just plain freaky!
We need to sleep and without it we do become cranky, emotional, etc. a lot like PMS! Joy! Joy! At times, that corner is strating to look really appealing! ;-)


Thank you all for your concern and for the new comers - please drop by again!

Paisley said...

Hmmm....maybe you feel very unsettled about your surgery and the changes in your body. The panther and the owl could be your new self and old self battling for control. Everything is upside down and "robbed". That could be a reference to your surgery.

??

I didn't read anyone else's yet. Sorry if I'm repeating.

That's wacky!

Meow (aka Connie) said...

I'm no good at interpreting dreams, but that sure is an odd one !!
Hope you manage to get some sleep soon.
Take care, Meow

stinkypaw said...

paisley: I like your interpretation! Thanks Pais!

meow: It left a weird feeling... and the strangest part is that it is a known feeling...
I hope to catch some zzz's real soon too! Thanks!

lizgwiz said...

That is a weird dream. Animals, though, instead of celebrities...I always get celebrities. I have also had a dream that someone is in my house while I'm sleeping and it's terrifying!

Anonymous said...

The owl represents something you are trying to learn, or your mind. The Panther could be your insomnia, it's cause, or whatever is trying to prevent or stops you from aquiring this knowledge. Think about this. Their reoccuring fight is your subconscious fight to attain peace and knowledge. Being robbed is indicitive of sexual frustration. O.k. all this is b.s. I don't know what it all means, but I had fun pretending. Seriously, I am sorry to hear about your insomnia-IT really bites!!!!! I have had bouts of wierd sleep, but nothing rivaling all out insomnia. I feel bad for you. Hang in there and know it all will pass.

stinkypaw said...

lizgwiz: I wish it had been some celebrities, but no, it was animals! It is even freaky to think of someone going thru my things, awake!

wreckless: When I first read it, you had me going - I though it was an interesting interpretation! Thanks a lot! :-) I'm hoping it will pass, SOON!