Saturday, July 21, 2007

I'm back Baby!

Hello Blogsville! I’m back! Finally, after 23 loooong days!
I felt so disconnected. It’s one thing to be off the net by choice, but to be cut off like this wasn’t our choice, trust me! To be without a phone nor an internet connection wasn’t our idea, especially that we so needed both. We busted our minutes on both our cells just making calls re. my MIL’s funeral. But that’s all (almost) in the past now. Things are getting back to normal, somewhat… We still don’t have cable, thus no TV, but at least we own a lot of movies. I knew these would become handy someday.

So, I’ve been busy even though I wasn’t blogging. We moved to our new condo. The move itself went well; only 2 plates broken and a good floor scratch (5-6 boards need to be changed).

We are still “camping”. Our new furniture should be delivered next Thursday. Can’t wait to get rid of some more boxes. I’m getting tired of seeing boxes around. We haven’t unpacked everything because; well… the builder did some booboos.

You see despite having said very specifically what and how we wanted things and even supplying the specs for our fridge, the cabinetmaker made the hole the size of the fridge, not bigger, but the exact measurement of it. So, the fridge is right smack in the middle of our little kitchen, leaving us a little passage way... Fun!The cabinets are not what we ordered either. We are still missing doors and there are a bunch of things like that, that make this whole experience such a fun one! The week my MIL passed away, they had to redo our shower, because it was leaking, and not just a little. So the morning of her passing the plumber, the tile guy and the glass guy were in and out of our place one after the other. Did I say I was having fun while I was away? Well, I wasn’t!Besides being woken up at 5:30 every morning, and spending the day surrounded by the lovely sounds of hammering, drilling and swearing (‘cause those construction guys, man, do they swear!) while I was unpacking boxes, things were going belly up. We both felt like we were living in a pinball machine or something, and we were stuck on top, bouncing around, waiting for that shove that would tilt the machine. You know the one?

We are managing to enjoy life and discovering our new neighbourhood even if we haven’t found a grocery store yet. We walked to Chinatown for dinner and made our way to Old Montreal as well. It’s fun, it does feel like we are tourists in our own town. We are discovering new things and it almost feel like we’re on vacation. I think we’ll like this, once we are truly settled in and that everything is done to our liking – that might take a while, I know!

Between the Fireworks every Wednesday and Saturday nights, and the Comedy Fest there is so much to see and do. Last night, we walked (Yes Sir! We can walk to shows now! Woohoo!) to a gala hosted by John Pinette, he’s hilarious. It felt good to laugh. Some stand-ups were really good, like the Aussie Adam Hills or our fellow Canadian Jeremy Hotz. Overall it was a great evening and both Hubby and I needed that.

Shall be closing for now, but rest assure I’m back for good this time!

10 comments:

Purple Pigeon said...

argh, builders! Do you have to take a test thats shows a complete lack of common sense to become a builder?

Good to have you back anyway, and i hope things start to get a little easier and back to normal soon.

Biddie said...

Welcome back!
Sounds like you've had a full plate, too. I'm sorry about your MIL. How are Hubby and FIL taking it? Sad times...I wish that I could hug you...
I hope that things are settling down somewhat for you now.

Anonymous said...

Whew...sooooo glad you're back !!! But sooooo sad for your misfortunes. If it helps, even though the photos demonstrate the flaws of your new place, it still looks really funky !!!

John Pinette (nay-nay) and Jeremy Hotz have been favourites of mine for many years...I do envy your instant downtown access.

Hope you guys have many happy, safe and especially healthy times in your new abode for many, many years to come !!! Mousse xoxo

Attila the Mom said...

Glad to see you back!

Everything looks so bright and shiny?

Does it smell good too? LOL

princess slea said...

my brother is a contractor and i think it's a prerequisite that they use the "f" word at least 100 times a day.
the place looks nice, even with a fridge blocking the view!
enjoy it.

PreppyGirl said...

Bummer about the fridge - but like Princess said, it looks really nice anyway!

Glad you're back!

stinkypaw said...

pigeon: I'm hoping for normal as well, and I can't wait until everything is where it should be!

biddie: Thanks, happy to be back! I think that both Hubby and his dad are coping with the idea. They both said they had time to prepare...

<mousse: Thanks Mousse. You'll have to make your way to see this new adobe of ours, once things are fixed!

atm: Thanks! Everything is new, and it even smell new! Loving it!

princess: Thanks! I'm sure it is a prerequisite, that and the butt crack! ;-)

pg: Thanks - it's getting there! I think it will be great once the fridge is where it shou;d and the cabinets are what we ordered!

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hope everything is finished (or almost there) now, and you can settle into your new surrounds properly.
Take care, Meow

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a sleek kitchen! I know you'll enjoy it. Enjoy your new place! Glad you're back.

stinkypaw said...

meow: Not much has moved since we are right smack in the middle of the "Construction Holidays" - the last 2 full weeks of July all construction sites close for their holidays. I'm hoping things will get moving again in August and finish off everything!

shopper: Thanks! I will enjoy it... eventually, when I have room to move! ;-)