Saturday, October 13, 2007

Felt like a tourist in my own town!

Hubby’s car has been under the weather for a while now, nothing too serious we hope. Since he’s been commuting by bicycle all summer he hasn’t used his car much, so there was no real need to have it fixed. Friday it rained in Montreal, I was at home, and so he used my car to go to work. Like every Friday night, I had my meditation class to go to. He came home in ample time for me to attend my class. But, since he was going to a little get together with some friends, it was better for him to take my car. He drove me to my class and said to call him when I’d be done. When I came out of my class, I did call him, but the perspective of waiting on a street corner in the cold wind for a half hour wasn’t really appealing so I decided to take the metro. I hadn’t done that in years!
I knew there was one not too far from where I was. So I started walking. Within 5 minutes I was at the station. Cool! I get in and to my surprise I see some sliding doors and slots for tickets only. I look around, and what used to be a booth with a man inside is now closed. So, how do I get down to the metro? I have money, how do I get on? I walked over to this girl and asked her. She looked at me like I was a complete moron and told me that I needed to go where they had a booth. Oh… Ok! …As if I hadn’t figured that much out already! I headed back outside, and was VERY tempted to hop on one of those taxis lined up by the station. I was debating should I try to find another station, simply walk home or cab it? As I was crossing a street I noticed that some buses were gathering a few streets over, so I made my way there. Woohoo! It was an actually station. I paid my fare and went down to wait for the next metro. The stations have changed somewhat, the trains as well, but the blank looks people have on their face while riding the metro is just the same as it ever was! I had not taken public transit since 1990, I think! Let’s just say that I didn’t miss it!

I got off at the nearest station to home, figured my way out since there are many exits and walked home. From door to door, it took me 30 minutes, which wasn’t that bad. Granted by car it only takes 7 minutes now. Before we moved it used to take me between 35 minutes to over 1 hour. Traffic can never be predicted; if someone sneezes you’re screwed!

Overall, taking the metro wasn’t that bad, I felt like a tourist a bit, but once I figured out the system I enjoyed the walk!
___

Image: Montreal Metro

2 comments:

Jason Stockl said...

I've had a car for just over a year now, and on the odd occasion I've taken the metro since, I know what you mean: it feels strange.

Unfortunately, what I've noticed the most just how dirty the metro is. It's unfortunate, because many of the stations have really cool architecture (you know, that groovy 60's look I love so much!)

I've also really become a germ freak on the metro. I've heard so many stories about diseases on those poles you're supposed to hang on to... Whenever I get to where I'm going, I wash my hands, like, immediately!

stinkypaw said...

jason67: Funny! As soon as I got in I washed my hand as well!