Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Thinking back...

When I saw this picture, I couldn’t help to think about how good it felt to be that young and to be intimidated by the “cool guy” who would actually talked to me… A part of me misses those days. The days where I would fall in love just because he had the “coolest hair”, or because he “actually” talked to me, or just because he was a bit older than me... The days when the heartaches were almost a weekly thing, when everything seemed so complicated and yet everything was so much simpler. Yeah, I think I do miss those days.

Yesterday before going to a client, I checked my emails and had received an email from a girlfriend from high school. He grandmother had passed and they were having a little viewing and service in the evening. I hadn’t seen that friend since almost 10 years or her twin sister, who also went to school with us, for over 23 years. After high school we didn’t keep in touch. Our year was pretty messed up. A year or so ago, I googled some names from school out of curiosity and found MJ. There was an email address, so I wrote her asking if she was the girl I knew. She was. We had one email exchange and that was about it.

We used to be best friends, until some stupid “girl argument” occured. Our last year of high school we remained friends, but we weren’t much more than that. We had grown apart. All afternoon I was wondering if I should go. As I was leaving my client, I decided that I would go for a short visit, just to pay my respect. I had met her grand mother as well as some of her relatives. There was barely anybody there. I saw MJ talking with a woman and walked in her direction. When she saw me, she jumped in my arms and hugged me hard. She was truly happy to see me. She kept saying “I can’t believe you actually came…” We hugged, cried and tried to make up for lost time. When her sister saw me it was almost funny. She stood in the middle of the chapel, saying really loud: “OMG! Stinkypaw!! OMG! What are you doing here?” The priest had to cough a few times for her to realise that she was being loud. Hee.

After the service we talked some more, we exchanged phone numbers and went our separate ways. Driving home, I thought of how much time had gone by and yet catching up with MJ was just like back in the days we would giggle in the back of a class while talking about boys. It also made me think of the post I did on “Feel Good Crap” and how something so simple as me showing up made a difference for this old friend.

On a different note, tonight on my way to class I saw a guy on a unicycle, again! From barely ever seeing one to seeing a bunch of them within a few days…what’s going on with that? Weird!

And I leave you with this thought:

"Friends are like butt cheeks.
Crap might separate them,
But they always come back together."

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Canada Overrun By One-Wheeled Freaks! George W. Bush Blames Al-Qaeda!

tee hee

lizgwiz said...

Aren't you glad you went? It's good to reconnect with old friends, isn't it? :)

Anonymous said...

What a great story! Experiencing things like that just makes your life more meaningful and happy. Glad you got to experience it.
Thanks for the humorous ananlogy to go with it.

Anonymous said...

I told you GW was going to invade Canada because you celebrate your Thanksgiving in October!!! He just cleverly disguised the invading troops as unicyclists. ;-)

Jason Stockl said...

Great story. Feels good to reconnect with old friends, doesn't it?

One of the things I like about Facebook is the reunions I have had. I've actually picked up some old friendships that had prematurely ended...

One friendship in particular makes me feel like time hasn't passed...

stinkypaw said...

marius: Yeah that could very well be!

lizgwiz: I am glad, and it was nice to see her again.

wreckless: I think that "every thing" has a humourus side, we just have to see it! ;-)

ananke: Oh! I thought those were actually our army dudes! ;-)

jason67: It sure did! I guess Facebook also has some good sides... :-)

Attila the Mom said...

I'm so glad you got a chance to catch up with your friend!

As for the unicycles...maybe God is sending you a message that He wants you to join the circus? ;-)

stinkypaw said...

atm: Didn't think of that as a "sign" thanks! Something to think about... at times I already feel like I'm working for/with clowns! half way there, right!? ;-)

mrsnesbitt said...

What an outfit! LOL!
Love the clogs.

Great weekend!

stinkypaw said...

mrsnesbitt: Remember those days? I sure do! :-)