Saturday, November 03, 2007

My Karate Journey (part 1)

I decided to tell you a little more of my karate experience, after all I did spend twenty years of my adult life in a dojo, and just telling you how I started and why I stopped would be like ignoring the stuff in between, and I don’t want to do that. Karate brought me so much (besides Hubby) that I think it’s only “normal” that I’d want to tell you about it, no?

In karate we have a belt system gradation, after so much time of training you are tested and given a different belt colour. We all start as white belts, pure, innocent and the higher up you get, the darker it gets (I think it also goes with the bruising). I used to tell my students that the more they trained the dirtier their belt got, the closer they were to the black belt.

When I went for my first belt test I was so nervous. Not for the katas (forms). I always liked the technical aspect of it all, but the kumite (fights) was what I wasn’t really looking forward to. I always enjoyed fighting (I blame my dad for that, with him smacking me around and all), but when in a “controlled” environment I was not so comfortable. After my test I went into the teacher’s office where he congratulated me and said “One day you’ll be a black belt”. I laughed in his face: “Me? Black belt? I don’t think so!” I enjoyed training and the friendships I was slowly making. I would come home and practise on my mother. So many times I winded her, or simply hurt her because she was willing to be my practise target. What I would learn in class, I would come home and show her. And try it. Which didn’t always worked as well as it did in class with someone who knew what was coming next.

As a beginner, I did my first competition, and won a second place in katas. It was among all our schools in the Montreal area, a few hundred participants. I didn’t do so well in kumite, but overall I was happy with my performance. Then I signed up for a Karate-O-Thon. We had to do over 500 kicks, 1000 punches and as many sit-ups as we could in 30 minutes. I did 525 sit-ups. My tailbone was raw by the end and I couldn’t laugh for the next few days my abs were so sore. My parents thought I was going crazy. I had found something I truly enjoyed.

I became more and more involved with helping in the office; being bilingual I was able to do the letters for the head-office in Japan. I was asked to do some demonstrations, a few TV shows, I even got a 5 weeks spot in a 13 weeks self-defence show; the teacher and myself showing the exercise, and then the “real life” scene. That was fun. I basically spent all my free time at the dojo (training hall). I would go to school, then dojo, back home for dinner and my home works, do some sit-ups/push-ups before bed. I ate, breathed and lived karate. By the time I went for my black belt test I had done a few tournaments, Karate-O-Thon and six different belt testing. I was the “Karateka of the Year”, for three years in a row. I was nuts!

This is me, showing off my "flexibilty" after my bleu belt test...

10 comments:

Purple Pigeon said...

Bloody hell, how bendy?? v.impressed with your eye watering splits!

Doing well with the MoFo, I'll be back tomorrow, checking up on you.....

Unknown said...

Wow, that's one heck of a skin condition. No wonder you needed self defense.

;-)

Just kidding. I went to exactly 2 karate classes once. I cannot tell you how impressive and admirable I find the ability to be so driven to excel like that.

Anonymous said...

How old are you in that picture?

stinkypaw said...

pigeon: Thank you! ;-)

marius: Very funny! It does represent lots of work.

monkey: 17

Anonymous said...

I am in awe, I don't think I was EVER that flexible! ;-)

stinkypaw said...

ananke: Thank you, I think it's only because I have long legs! ;-)

Anonymous said...

WOW. I'm very impressed! I have always just assumed karate was not for me, and after reading about you doing 500+ situps in 30 minutes, well...yeah, it's not for me. :)

stinkypaw said...

lara: Not everybody participated in those "karate-o-thon", so don't let that stop you...

Green-Eyed Momster said...

How awesome! I just read them all and ended up here because I read them backwards from the archives.
Thank you for sharing your stories! I'm a little scared to have my daughter bruised or hurt but I think it'll be good for her in the long run.
I had a friend who practiced Judo and I could flip someone but I was never interested in doing the real "work"
Wow! I really learned a lot about you! I wonder what it feels like to know you could kick anyone's ass....powerful, yes?
Hugs!!

stinkypaw said...

traceyt: Don't let my bruises worry you, it all depends on the style she'll be doing, remember that, I was in FULL-CONTACT, and it's not for everyone.