Saturday, March 08, 2008

IWD, DST and Snow!

First and foremost, let me wish all ladies out there a very Happy Women's Day!

They are saying that this year their global message is all about "shaping progress". As we were doing errands, Hubby asked me if there was an International Men's Day, to which I answered: "Yeah, every other day of the year that isn't Valentine's, Mother's, Father's, etc." He thought I was funny.

I've never really considered myself a feminist. I just do what I need to do and don't wonder too much about who should be doing what etc. I'm all for fairness, for equal work we should get equal pay. I'm also very aware that there are differences between men and women, and those differences can't be ignored, no matter how much we fight about them.

From personal experience I do know that some women are as strong as men, and I also know that size doesn't always matter ( I can't believe I just wrote that! What is wrong with me? Of course size does matter! Oh wait, I'm not writing about "that"...) it all about how bad one wants something, how much are we willing to fight for it, to be heard. Yes, there is more power behind a group than individuals, but in order for things to really change, we need to really want it and be willing to do something about it, to stand up for ourselves, individually. I believe that each individual is responsible of how she is treated. I've seen big guy with less guts than smaller women. It's all about will power, determination, want... even passion.

There are fundamental differences between us, and to me, those are the things I do value and appreciate. Anyhoo, if you'd like to read more about IWD, you can visit their website, maybe you'll find something that will interest or motivate you.

Second, I was surprised to hear on the radio on our way home, that we have to "spring forward" this weekend. Already? I googled it, and yes, this Sunday we will have to adjust our clocks yet again. Check out this website for more info.

Third, I know I live in Canada, and yes it is the big white North here, as so many of you think, but in fact there is whiter and colder than here, but this year winter is a real b*tch!

Just this week it snowed as if we were in December! On Tuesday we had yet another good snowfall, about eight inches, and because they were announcing another storm on its way, the City decided not to clear the streets, nor sidewalks because they are facing a little challenge... We've had so much snow this year, that they don't know where to put it anymore!

Last night it started snowing again, as they had predicted, we are expecting yet another six to twelve inches! Earlier it looked like we should put up Christmas lights or something, really big flakes were falling, fast. The roads conditions aren't that good, and the temperature is so strange it goes from nice big flakes, to freezing rain, to flakes again; it's really strange! Friday was such a beautiful day, it felt like spring was actually on its way. I could see the actual asphalt in some places, the air was fresh but things were melting in the warm sun, and today... snow AGAIN!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Groan...this weather is simply sucking the life out of me...can you believe the St. Patrick's Day parade is next Sunday ? Every year it seems the parade plays homage to Spring, NOT THIS YEAR !!! Booooooooooooooooooooo...sniff~sniff. All this and we loose an hour this weekend. Stop the world, I'm getting off !!! ;-)

Unknown said...

All I have to say is I'M NOT A F***ING FARMER, SO STOP CHANGING THE F***ING CLOCKS!!!!! If farmers want an extra hour, they can get up later.

As for IWD, yay women!! I think it is stupid to discriminate based on gender unless the job involves carrying two cups of coffee and a dozen donuts at the same time.
;-)

stinkypaw said...

mousse: It will be a slushy Parade that's for sure! It might feel like Spring, if you don't care too much about the snow...

marius: I'm so with you on the time change! And I choose to ignore the other part of your comment! ;-)