Friday, February 06, 2009

Holy flashback Batman!

Since you seem interested in my little reunion, I will post about it. It wasn’t a reunion like most people have, no ballroom, no invitation; just a chat exchange and a meeting place & time were set.

I’ll be honest, I was excited and at the same time a little scared. In high school I wasn’t one who liked the front seats, I was rather quite the wallflower; some of it by choice and some of it because of my folks. My parents being super strict, I wasn’t allowed to do much outside the house, so I wasn’t the party animal since I wasn’t permitted to attend parties so that didn’t make me very popular with most. I could have as many friends over as I wish (and I did), but I couldn’t go anywhere. Another contributing factor to my unpopularity was the fact that I was good in school. The cool kids tend not to appreciate the smart ones, except when they need help, of course. I had some friends, but tend to talk to everyone, I wasn’t a ‘clique’ girl, I was friendly and shy at the same time. So when an old mate found me on Bacefook and asked if I would join a few of them for drinks, the teen in me from the eighties woke up. It’s almost as if I was thrown back into time, and started remembering things, events but mostly feelings. Being a teen was rough. I realise that now. That period of our lives can be the best for certain things, and at the same time it can be the pits.

I made my way there, and farted around the darn parking lot for about ten minutes; I just couldn’t seem to find the place. I really dislike those mega malls structures, and their maps were totally useless. How can you have a map to help people and not indicate the “you are here” point? I mean come on; if it were a road map I’d understand, but a mall map? As I walked in I saw three guys standing by the bar, one of which was big and bald. One of the guys from high school is now big and bald, so I thought: “Wow, they have changed, I don’t recognize any of them”, but as I got closer saw someone waving at me from the other side of the room, which I recognize. Woohoo!

I was actually surprised how natural it felt, as if those twenty-five years weren’t that far away after all. We reminisced, got up to speed with some gossips, and of course laughed a lot. It’s funny the things you’ll remember, at least I do. I’ve been told many times I had a good memory and if last night is any indication, my memory is top notch. I surprised one guy (for whom I had a big crush, but he didn’t know, or acted as if) by telling him he used to write badly and in a funny way (the way he would positioned his paper), he was really blown away by how much details I remembered from back then. We decided to do this again, and in the mean time try to find more people from our year. It was a really good evening overall, and I’m glad I went.

8 comments:

Charlie said...

I'm glad your mini-reunion worked out well and was fun. So many of them turn into disasters when the snooty kids are still snooty, half the guys are alcoholics, and every woman in the place says, "So, you haven't any children," like it's a crime.

lizgwiz said...

Glad it was a positive experience!

Jane Doe said...

Sounds like you had a great time. That takes a lot of courage to see old friends after so long & I think you're like the 2nd person I know that had an enjoyable experience.

stinkypaw said...

Charlie: I was actually worried a snooty guy would be there, but he was a no-show (yay!), so it turned out great!

lizgwiz: It was, thank you.

Janes': It was fun, and being so few help to "conquer" my fears!

Green-Eyed Momster said...

I'm so glad that you went! The teen years are rough. I'm glad that your parents were so strict with you! That's probably why you have such a great memory!! I wasted my teens....and 20's....sigh....
Thanks for sharing your experience with us!!

Hugs!!

don't call me MA'AM said...

I had my 20th last year... I felt 'meh' about the whole thing, to be honest. Glad yours was a good thing!

kara said...

laughter makes any evening worth having.

that wasn't supposed to sound as cheesy as it did.

stinkypaw said...

Traceyt: My pleasure, and I'm also thankful for my parents.

DCMM: Too bad and darn you're younger than me! ;-)

kara: Not cheesy at all.