Monday, June 18, 2012

If only the fat would melt as well

I don't know about where you're at, but on this side of the screen the weather has been beautiful for the last few days.  It looks and feels like summer is here.  Oh, don't get me wrong, we had our share of rain.  two of the three flower boxes hanging on the railing of our little deck are not dead, due to too much water, and lack of drainage (my bad! - there was no holes at the bottom of the new boxes, so with all the rain we've had, my beautiful flowers drown).

I don't know if it's an age thing, a menopausal thing or what, but I'm realizing as I aged, that I do enjoy the warmth more.  But at the same time, I find that I sweat a lot more than I used to.  I'm not even talking about the clammy feeling of those lovely hot flashes, not at all.  I'm talking in general, you know like when going for a little walk or even just sitting outside to read.  I find myself drench in a matter of minutes.  It starts with the elbow creases, then behind the knees, then under the breast line, and the forehead (under the bangs).  It's bad, I feel as wet as if I'd been sprayed with a hose, except there was no refreshing feeling at all.  Not a pleasant sensation to say the least.

Not only being wet is unpleasant, but then you get the sticky sensation and actually do stick to surfaces.  I want to be outside and enjoy the sun, but the thought of being wet and sticky doesn't appeal to me so much... is that what it means to get old...er?

We have AC at home and in the car.  I enjoy that comfort too.  I'm dry and that's good.  The negative point about the ac being on all the time (besides the electric bill) is the fact that I'm generally cold.  Almost every night I have to put a sweater on and socks, while Hubby is in short and saying he's hot.

Earlier while the TV was on, I heard of a man in ON who was being charged with animal cruelty for leaving his dog in his car.  A pet's temperature is about 38C to start with, add to that the fur and being stuck in a car which is like an oven under the sun, is pure and simple cruelty.  How can any respecting, pet loving owner can leave their animals in the sun with a cracked window (of course!) be considered a loving or caring gesture?  Would a parent leave their kid in an oven for "just 15 min"?  ... oh wait, there's always a parent somewhere who do forget their kids in the back seat, every summer, never mind, moving on.  I know I'm harsh. Sorry.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hot and sweaty is a fact of life down here, and the penalties for leaving an animal in a car are appropriately stiff...not that there aren't heartless bastards who do it all the time. There are numerous campaigns, tv ads, print ads, billboards, etc. cautioning people not to leave animals and children in the car in the sun, but it doesn't always work. :-(