Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Catching up some...

I guess it is time for me to catch up some.  Life has been real, you know, daily routine, ups and downs, and everything is between, you know, life.

Summer took its sweet time to get to us, but then it hit us with such a heat wave, and oh so much humidity!  Thanks to all engineering gods for the A/C - wouldn't want to be stuck without that luxury.  In weather like this I'd say it is more a necessity than luxury, for me at least!

Still addicted to postcards, yep, that hasn't changed the slightest.  Even managed to drag Hubby for a road trip to Halifax for me to attend a meet-up!  Three thousand five hundred and one km later (or 2175 miles) we went to Halifax, did the Cabot Trail and drove...  You can read about it here, through Likki's Adventures.
Halifax Meet-up Participants - 10 of us from Toronto (2), Montréal (4) and Halifax (4)
It is always fun to meet people in real life after having chatted and written with/to them for a few years and actually click when you do meet them.  We, both Hubby and I, made new friends while visiting and that is always fun.

What else is new?  Oh!  I'm no longer member of the Executive for our condo association.  Gave that up after three years of being on.  Actually found out this week that we won our case against the Insurance company/builder for some of the issues that we were asking to be fixed under the warranty coverage which they had declined.  So I had opened a claim against them, built up a big file and called in a mediator who decided in our favor.  Had to testify and all.  Happy with the results of that, now time will tell how they will address the rest of it. I'm not holding my breath on this one!

The more I live here, in Pleasantville, I feel at home, this is a good place.  I love our home, we made it ours, and we enjoy the area, even if it is full of kids.  In all honesty, I would much prefer to live in a stand alone house, someplace where we wouldn't have to deal with moronic neighbors who throw their trash around the bins rather than inside.  At times, when I sit down and look at what is going on around us, I wonder how long the world has left, before it collapses on itself, really.  We, as humanity, are not improving, far from it. 

We have a whole new generation of phone zombies.
At first I thought it was aged based, but realizing, sadly, that it is not the case.  For example, Sunday we went to do a quick grocery run and ended up behind this lady (older than me, I'm thinking - at least she looked it!) who was playing with her phone.  I could not pass her on either side, we were in a grocery store, after all.  Ridiculous that she was so clueless of her environment and wasn't at all looking at what she was doing and where she was walking.  I expected that type of zombie-like behavior from a kid or young adult.  I just can't understand what is so important that they can't lift their nose from their phone.

People have less and less manners.  Watching people eat at the restaurant will confirm any doubt you may have about that.  From not knowing how to hold the knife and fork, to simply properly sit at the table and let's not get into the eating portion of this.  Man!  I swear, I've seen pets with more class than many in restaurants, no joke!  And don't get me started on couples sitting at a table together and both on their phone.  Whatever happened to people talking to each other?!

We did improve our lives with technology, science and such, but the people as such, and the way we treat others... not so sure.  One of my friend often says we are too many people and thus breaking the planet... when I think about it, he might be right... Something has to change, and since men (in general) won't, then the planet will, of that I'm sure.  It wouldn't be the first time, if we think of the Ice Age and such events, it is Earth's way to protect itself...

Few weekends ago, we made our way to a friend's place, he lives in the woods, really, by a late, really remote area.  While we were catching up, somehow the subject of weather changes came about (no big surprise there, since Spring was yucky and then we were hit with very high humidity, etc) and we all agreed that times were changing.  We all remembered when driving in the summer implied, without any doubts, bug splats. It was my job, whenever I went somewhere with my father, to clean the windshield when he would stop for gas.  In the summer, I remember having to use some elbow grease to get rib of all the dead bugs splat on the lights and windshield.  We we drove to visit that friend, we barely had any.  We we drove to and from Halifax we had some, but nothing like in the past. Granted, it also rained part of the drive, but still.  Times are changing, things are changing, we are too, but I'm just not sure it is all for the better...

OK enough venting for now.  Catch you around somewhere!  Enjoy what is left of Summer, be safe and enjoy each day.

No comments: