Sunday, November 24, 2019

Living my life and (trying) to forget my age!

My need to vent quite high, so here goes:

On November 1st, we had really strong winds, so strong they actually ripped the gutter covering the thermo pumps tubing making it to the top floors of our building.  Since that day, I've been trying to reach a contractor, in either gutters and/or roofing to get someone over to fix it.  To no avail.

I'm actually being ghosted by some!  They tell me: I'll be there tomorrow after 3pm, and don't show.  I've called a LOT of them, some simply refused to even come to look at the situation, saying they are too busy.  Some I've contacted have an emergency number, but that's not "serious" enough to come.  Others offered to send an estimator for the cost of replacing our gutters.  Name it, in the past few weeks, I've heard it all!  It is utterly ridiculous that contractors do not give a rat's ass and, and as Hubby often says "don't want our business".

Last night it was quite windy again, and the noise this dangling thing was making was quite nasty... almost as bad as nails on a chalkboard, it was bad, and it was windy.  I could ear it in our unit, I can only imagine the people living on that side.  This morning I decided to try another avenue, as suggested by a friend; maybe the firemen could help.  I didn't want to call 911 as it is not really an emergency as such, so I called 411 to get a phone number of a local fire station. The first respondent was kind enough and transferred my call to  Montréal Service (not quite sure where he transferred me to).  As I started telling the reason for my call to the lady, I very quickly realized she had no idea what I was talking about.

Me:  Hi, I'm calling to see if you could maybe direct me to a service or something as one of our gutter on the side of the house got undone and I'm afraid it will cause some damages...

Phone Help:  I see.  Is this inside or outside?

Me: ...

Phone Help: Madam, is this thing inside or outside and it this a commercial or residential building?

Me:  It's a gutter like a metal cover on the side of the building.

Phone Help: So, this is outside?

Me: You don't know what a gutter is?  Really?  It's that thing that collects rain along the roof of houses...

Phone Help: So, it is outside.  And if this is for a commercial building you're not calling the right place.

Me:  Yeah, I got that, thank you.  I'll figure it out.  Thanks anyway.

I hung up feeling almost dizzy.  This was like an episode of Outer Limits!


I'm happy I did not rip her a new one.  So after a few deep breaths, I called 911.  I explained the issue and mentioned the exposed wires, etc. and how I didn't want it to get worst and if maybe the firemen could do something.  I was transferred to the fire department, explained the situation once more, and was told they would come by to see the situation.  Within minutes I heard the sirens and saw the firetruck.  They looked at it, one fireman told me they were best at breaking things and unfortunately couldn't really do anything.  I did apologize for making them come over, and they were quite gracious about it and understood my concerns so they put up some yellow tape blocking the passage way near it, and left.

I'm hoping that on Monday at least one of the many contractors I've left messages with will call me back.

I've been single for the past fifteen days, and let's be honest, I'm enjoying it.  You see Hubby is a walking, breathing noise maker!  I kid you not, between his coughs, sneezing fits, his efforts to move his phlegm (ah! I've used that word!!) or whatever else he has stuck in the back of his throat, his burps and farts, and let's not forget his cracking ankles and knees, the man makes noise, lots of noise.  The house has been so freaking quiet, it's unreal.  The only thing I hear (besides the gutter clapping on the bricks outside) is the low hums of the computers.  I do miss his companionship, but his noises, not at all.  I enjoy being alone, and even when he's home, we both like our time apart.  I guess the only child we were is still there and remained comfy with being alone, in some ways.  Both of us find that the evenings and weekends have been boring.  We're used to each other's company.  We've been together for almost twenty-six years now (in January) and never really been apart except for ten days or so.  Do I miss his sweaty ass in bed?  Not really.  Do I miss him preparing dinner?  I do.  Yesterday I washed the toilets and I think it was the first time since we moved here over three years ago; he's been doing them.  He also generates a lot more laundry.  He could be called Sir Changealot.  Don't get me wrong, I love the man, and I'm very thankful he's in my life, but this little break will be doing us some good, I think.  We will appreciate it (or not at all, time will tell!) when we'll get back together in a few more weeks.

Today, I'm celebrating my fifty-third birthday.  Yep, I'm an old broad.  And yes this fact explains some of the crankiness.  At some point yesterday I've realized that it would be my very first time celebrating my birthday alone.  Without Hubby (for sure) and my mom (she's now a Snowbird and is now in FL.)  It dawned on me while at the hair salon where my hairdresser, who's also an old friend (we met when we were about 12 years old), brought out a birthday cake and had a salon full of people signing happy birthday, that I was going to be alone on my actual birthday...  It felt weird.  I know it is a day just like any others, and I don't care about it as much as I used to when I was younger.  Aging isn't all that fun really.  Our body changes, not always for the better; our mind changes too, also often not for the better, our vision goes down, our waist thickens, our memory slowly goes, we discover new pains on a regular basis, but the one good thing (for me at least!) is the fact that there is more and more shit that I do not give a crap about.  A lot of the things and people I cared about are gone.  Some I let go of, some let go of me, and some life took care of...

I will say/write this though, despite not being with Hubby today I'm lucky enough (blessed really!) to have good friends. I might be home alone, but between real life and social medias,  I know I'm not all alone...  Had a delicious dinner with a couple of friends last night, will be having a good time tonight too with other friends, and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting some phone calls and messages. I have a box waiting for me to be open from Hubby which I received a few days ago and four env. from Europe and two from Canada to be open on this day, so I know what I'll be doing when I get up later...  Speaking of which, I should hit the sack now, I'm not getting any younger and need all the sleep (and beauty rest) I can get.

See you around!  Thanks for reading!

No comments: