Friday, July 14, 2006

How we became Stinky & Hubby...

I’ve been wondering if I should write about this, but since “Jason67” expressed some curiosity, I figure why not?

How did I meet Hubby? Karate. That is the short answer. Now here’s the long story of how the two of us became the couple we are today.

Wow, that was 13 years ago on July 14th!* I met Hubby at a period in my life when I was… let’s say… quite “active”? I’m not just talking karate here, if you know what I mean? I “had” a social life and lived it! A friend of mine, Z, worked at BNR (at the time) had invited me to attend his karate class. Z and I had been friends for almost 10 years – we met at karate and trained hard together – and since he was going away on vacations he wanted me to replace him, so that his students wouldn’t stop training. So, on a Wednesday afternoon I made my way to the dojo** for a class and to meet his students. For the following week Z and I were teaching together. I was getting acquainted with the students (mostly men, and a few women) and them with me. The classes were held at 7:30am. After class and showers, we would all meet for breakfast in the cafeteria. We would talk and I guess get to know one another.

After my first week teaching a bunch of us went out for a bite to eat and some bar hoping. I remember that that time Hubby met us for a quick drink, plus he finished my beer (that habit of his started even before we were “together”!). He had to get home; his girlfriend was waiting for him… Then Z left for 2 weeks and I replaced him twice/week. After he came back I continued to train with the gang – they were a nice friendly bunch. Z suggested adding more classes to the schedule that I would teach, so I started to have my own 2 classes/week, which was a lot of fun.

The first “mention” of Hubby in my diary was on Thursday, August 19th, 1993:
Hubby is really nice with me, he has a girl and all, but he’s sweet!
At the end of September I met a guy, G, at a “Paintball game” – the brother of a co-worker. We hit it off, physically more than anything else; let’s just say we had a fling… that lasted until the Holidays – I didn’t want to spend Christmas alone! During that whole time I got to know Hubby a little more each day, after breakfast.

On November 25th, 1993, one of the girls from karate had organized a little birthday party for me at our regular Happy Hour place on Thursdays (Sherlock’s). About 30 people showed up – I was really happy. One person conveyed a message to me that Hubby wasn’t going to attend; he was stuck in Ottawa on business, but was sending his best wishes. When he did show up one hour or so later I was really pleasantly surprised. He drove back from Ottawa to party with us… After the Happy HourS, 4 of us (all students!) went for a bite to eat (pizza!). Then 2 of boys decided to head home, so Hubby and I were left alone, so we decided to go dancing (Thursday’s). We stayed there until 3 am.

That night I wrote in my dairy:
Since I started teaching there, Hubby has been really nice to me. Every time he comes to do my class, we have breakfast together after. He has a girlfriend so I lay low… Last week something changed… I’ve always liked him, and I guess he did to… When I started seeing G he made a comment on how strange it was for me to date someone with a kid when I don’t want any. He was kind of asking questions but not directly… Last week Z asked me what was happening with him (and it was not the first time!), he actually told me to go for it!! … We had a really nice time; he’s really nice… very friendly! Since then, he’s been often on my mind!

…Z called me at work, and asked about Hubby… I’ve told him that I think he only sees me as his karate instructor. Z doesn’t think so. He didn’t want to put words in Hubby’s mouth, but he really liked me… but we’re both in relationship. What do I do, wait and see or go for it?! I think I’ll go for it!!!
On December 16th, 1993, we had lunch together, on the South Shore. I remember that day I told him to “ditch the bitch”, since he had told me that things weren’t good with his girlfriend.

On the following Monday (Dec. 20th), I dropped by his office to give him a little Christmas gift – a mini bottle of Grand Marnier, his favourite! – He still has it!

On December 22nd, 1993 was our karate lunch at a Greek restaurant on Duluth St. Some of them had made up a poem about our little dojo, every body was happy and in a festive mood. That day Hubby and I were the last one to leave the restaurant. The dinner crowd was coming in by the time we left! That is also the first (and last!) time, ever, that Hubby offered me his shoulder to punch! I had been called in at work, and was pissed off about it, told him I felt like hitting something, so he offered his shoulder. …And I did!

During the holidays we both broke off with our respective others…

Then on January 19th, 1994 I wrote:
… I’m seeing a lot of Hubby. He’s becoming a nice friend. He’s single since last week. Monday night I went to his place, we watched “Beauty and the Beast”, came back home around 3am, and I was teaching in the morning, tired! We’re supposed to get together this weekend, do something. It’s nice! I feel really comfortable with him and he has a great sense of humour! Oh well!
On January 22nd, 1994, a girlfriend and I went to see him play volleyball. That is when I noticed his legs and bums! From the start Hubby didn’t attract me physically, I guess that my physical needs were fulfilled. J I thought he was good looking (and I think he’s even better now - he’s aging very well!). I was attracted to his… dare I write it… his mind! He had that little something that made me curious about him…. We could talk for hours about anything, and I loved that – we still do, and still love it!

After his game, we agreed to meet up at his place. I drove my friend back and made my way to the West Island. Honestly, I don’t really remember what we did exactly EXCEPT that we played darts! I have a somewhat competitive nature, so since he was winning all the friggin’ games, we played until I won one. By that time it was well over 3 am! He offered me his guest bedroom. I accepted the invite, since I was too tired to drive back to my apartment. He gave me a big t-shirt, wished me good night and went to bed. I asked him if he’d mind if I would sleep with him. He didn’t. Can you believe that NOTHING happened that night? Nothing! We said goodnight, rolled over and slept!

The next morning, while we were having our breakfast a friend of his, who lived near by, dropped by for a “surprised” visit. He wanted to know to whom belonged that red Corolla***. Ted was the first of Hubby’s friend I met. We later found out, that Hubby’s ex had also sent him on a recognition mission – she wanted to know who had spent the night over!

That night we had our first kiss… it was on Sunday, January 23rd, 1994

The rest is history, as they say!

Is this what you wanted to read Jason67?

________

* In order for me to be the most accurate I dug out my old agendas and my journal!
** Training hall
*** Funny fact, Hubby’s ex, at the time, also drove a Corolla, a grey one!

5 comments:

Neurotic Illini Fan said...

Thanks for sharing. It's very cool to hear how people meet and come together.

NIF

Jason Stockl said...

Love it!

Not your run-of-the-mill boy meets girl story...

Next time I want to hear about the marriage proposal...

stinkypaw said...

NIF: My pleasure! It was fun to "relive" it. I always loved to hear those stories as well.

jason67: C'mon! You should know, by now, that there's nothing "run-of-the mill" about us! ;-D

I'll think about the proposal one...

cinnamon girl said...

Very sweet.
And yes, tell us about the marriage proposal!
PS you said in your list that you don't do karate anymore. Care to tell us that story?

stinkypaw said...

hasarder: First, let me welcome you to my blog!

I'm thinking about the proposal thing...You know I need the right setting to write and all... ;-)

As for why I don't do karate anymore, well... that one is a little more complicated and I'd even say emotional...so I'll see.

Thanks again for commenting!