Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Is it just me?...

I know that some of you feel very strongly about punctuation, grammar, etc. (you know who you are, no need for me to name you!), and I feel the same way. Despite French being my mother tongue, I know that my written English skills are better than a lot of English born people. Talking, well... that's a whole other story... let's just say one can tell English isn't my first language. That being said I hate it when I see or hear bad English (and/or French). And it has nothing to do with politics, with being a “Quebecer” and all that... Especially that the French we speak, as “Quebecers”, is so badly spoken and written by most, that I don't understand what it is that we're trying to preserve... but that's another post (if ever I decide to!).

Crossing the border, from Québec to Vermont, while waiting in line to talk to the customs agent – it used to be so easy and worry free to cross the border, I'm happy to report that it changed a fair bit. I'm not happy about the fact that security had to be increased and all due to terrorists, but happy to see that it now feels like a border is being crossed. (sorry, I'll get back on track now!) - right before our picture is taken (while we're in the car), right after we came out of the Duty Free parking lot, I saw signs, lots of signs. Since we had to wait, not because there were that many cars, but because the agents actually look at you, talk to you and ask questions, it does take a little longer per car to cross over, I starting reading the signs next to us, for the big trucks.

All signs were in English and French. But the French... OMG!!!

First one I read said: “Stop here until lane is clear”. In French it was translated to “Arrête-vous ici jusqu'à ce que la voie solt libre” - not so bad, only 2 mistakes: one isn't proper French, and the second is most likely a typo. It should have read: “Arrêtez-vous ici jusqu'à ce que la voie soit libre”

Second sign read: “Report to US Customs”. In French it read “Reportez vous aux les douanes e-u” - OUCH! That is bad French! Two mistakes were spelling mistakes and the third one was just not French, it's beyond grammar! It should have read: “Présentez-vous aux douanes des États-Unis.”

Then I read the third sign: “Do not stop in yellow zone”. In French it was the worst translation so far: “N'arrêtez-vous pas en la zone jaune”. That was just plain bad French, pure & simple! It should have read something like: “Ne vous arrêtez pas dans la zone jaune.”

I really wanted to take a picture, but Hubby didn't think it was a good idea to take a picture at the US Customs Station so I didn't. But I wrote down the poor translation that was printed on those big metal signs all over the place!

This seems inexcusable at a border crossing where one of the “neighbors” is mainly French with so many people who can translate properly. It seems to demonstrate a certain lack of respect. If you go to the effort of posting signs in French, please do it correctly. It would demonstrate professionalism and respect.

...or is that just me?

7 comments:

-R- said...

Why didn't they ask a French-Canadian to translate those signs! Yikes!

Red said...

Oh funny, I also have thoughts about the ridiculousness of the US-Canada border. Years ago my mom and I were pulled over because we accidentally blew across the border without stopping... there were signs that said "arret" which apparently means stop in French. Who knew? I took Spanish in high school. Also, when going from the US to Canada, MAYBE HAVE SIGNS IN ENGLISH.

PreppyGirl said...

I have crossed the border many a time myself (the one in Niagara Falls which is only a couple of hours from here). It is ridiculous how easy it used to be. I don't think I've tried to cross in at least 10 years - oh wait, I guess I did fly to Toronto from Fort Lauderdale about 6 years ago, but that's a whole other thing. I don't think I even needed a birth certificate then - the pre 9/11 days...

I'm with ya on the grammar thing. I only picked out one error in the french stuff (solt/soit). I've never seen Etats-Unis abbreviated e-u. Hmmm..

P.S. - you'll have to send me all the keyboard shortcuts for accents, circumflexes, etc.

stinkypaw said...

-r-: My point exactly!

red: You are right, English signs should be there (I'll check on that on my way home and get back to you!). However, I always thought that a red octogone meant "stop" in North America, no matter what was written on... hummm, I'll have to look into this!

pg: Prior 9/11 it was too easy... My observation was mostly about the fact that if you bother posting signs in French make sure they are proper (and that goes both ways! - I hate it just the same the other way!).

I will send you the shortcuts for the "joyfull diacritics" of the French language.

Jason Stockl said...

I'm super nitpicky on grammar. Hold on, I'm super nitpicky in general!

(Maybe that's why I edit my blog posts a zillion times before I'm satisfied...)

And, NO, I'm not the one who corrects Stinkypaw's posts!

Anonymous said...

I was glad to read your blog. I just finished a brochure in several languages. The French had no errors, but apparently I used Canadian French, so two words were switched.

I'm American, but I try to be careful in French.

What you speak in Canada is some sort of Norman French, isn't it? The accent seems really "broad" to me. That's the only way I can describe it. I can understand it pretty well, but I can't imitate it.

stinkypaw said...

anonymous: Thanks for stoping by and reading. I didn't mean that "Americans" weren't careful when speaking French, but I believe that when posting signs for ALL to read one (whomever it may be) shoud be darn sure it is correct.

I wouldn't be able to tell you the type of French we speak in Quebec, I was told once by an old French (Europe) man that it was like "old" French...

Continuez à écrire en français et merci pour votre commentaire!