Sunday, September 17, 2006

Recap of the past few weeks

This post will be a little (well, maybe not so little, but rather long… ) recap of what has been happening with us in the last few weeks. I haven't been the best at keeping in touch with family and friends lately, since I’ve been feeling a little overwhelmed by all the events and I am trying not to let the stress of it all get to me. I already have a “short fused” temperament, so I have to remind myself at times to take it easy.

About a month ago (already! ) I was asking you what your thoughts were on me having surgery… Thank you all so much for all your comments. It did help to bounce ideas around and to think of other options. I did look into it a little bit further, and decided to go ahead with the surgery.
Wednesday was my “pre-op” day. I made my way to the hospital to the admission office, and started what would be my morning of waiting. I waited a bit at the admission office, then made my way, through was seemed like a labyrinth to meet a nurse who explained a few things like having to give myself an enema the night before surgery, shaving completely, etc., etc. So much fun, I can barely wait! After blood tests, peeing in a tube, cardiogram, etc. I was sent home with one final test to do 48 hrs before surgery: a pregnancy test. They want to make sure I’m not pregnant before removing my “equipment” for good… Funny! I just realised that I’ve never taken a pregnancy test before in my life! Wow!

While I was sitting in one of the many crowded hospital waiting areas, this crazy kid was shooting students at Dawson, and I had no idea what was going on… weird…

On October 12th they will be removing my cyst, my left ovary, my uterus and if need be, my right ovary. I want to keep that ovary if only to reduce the menopausal symptoms. That would be good the best scenario. I just hope it’s not messed up too much so that I can keep it…

I’m thinking about getting waxed completely, instead of shaving. I see this truly nice woman for my bikini wax and we talked about it, and I do think that despite the pain of having it done, it would be better to wax rather than shave. Any comment?

* * *
The last three weeks have been a bit hectic over here. As you may have guessed (even if I’ve always been quite open & frank about it) my relationship with my MIL hasn’t been a loving one. We would see each other when we had to, like at family dinner (Easter, Christmas, etc.) or events, but not on a social base. She didn’t like me, made it obvious, so after many attempts I decided to let it be. She didn’t have to like me (I'm ok with that), I just wanted her to respect the fact that I was with her son and that we loved each other. After 14 years one would think that she’d realise I was there to stay…

On Sept. 1st, she called Hubby at work and asked that we (not just him) go visit her in the hospital. She was being operated the next morning. Hubby didn’t have any details besides where she was. That evening we made our way to the Lakeshore Hospital (where I will be operated as well). She had already been there for five days and hadn’t told anybody, but her husband. She went in because she couldn’t drink a liquid that she had been prescribed for some tests (she had been feeling sickly for a while, and was having bowel problems, so she decided to go for some tests), she couldn’t keep it down. She thought the emergency room might give her some “trick” or maybe offer her something else. They kept her. They ran a battery of tests of found a big lump on her intestine.

She was operated on Saturday morning (Sept. 02). A part of her intestine was removed as well as the lump. Then she got an infection where her IV was, and then she started having diarrhea, which turned out to be C. Difficile. She’s very weak and her moral isn’t that great. Plus they haven’t got the pathology results yet, but it doesn’t look good from the preliminaries.

They never really had to deal with sickness. My FIL is shaken up and totally overwhelmed by it all. We’ve been seeing more of him (and her) in the last three weeks, than in our 14 years together. We’ve been feeding and “entertaining” him most evenings. Hubby and him have a lot of catching up to do…

Isn’t funny (well, not really, “funny” ) what fear can make us do? How, when we realise our mortality, are willing to change? It’s almost scary how my MIL attitude’s towards me changed! 180° turn! Now we hear from relatives how nice and helpful we are, even me, which NEVER happened before (on the contrary), but the thing is, I haven’t changed at all… (at least I don’t think so…) She’s been more civilised to me in the past three weeks than ever before, and I’ll take it! I’m hoping it will remain even when she feels better… but like Hubby said, I shouldn’t be holding my breath! ...and I'm not! But one can only hope.

* * *

Pooch-a-fication: 3 months!

Three months! And she’s still going strong! While we went away for a week, she stayed with one of Hubby’s cousin, and they had a blast from what I hear, they enjoyed each other and the pooch came home even more spoiled then when we brought her to cousin’s cottage. Who would have thought that she could get even more spoiled, but cousin managed to do it! We were happy to see her so well and happy.

What we thought was going to be a short-term thing might turn out to be a longer run thing! She doesn’t look like she’s ready to kick the bucket just yet, now, does she?

That shot was taken during her stay with cousin, and she had emailed it to us to "show" us that pooch was enjoying her stay and doing well. Couldn't help to say "aww" when I saw it.

* * *

Besides all that, I've been seeing a personal trainer to build stronger core muscles, in preparation for the surgery, but mostly to shorten the post-op recuperation. The better prepare my belly muscles will be, the faster I will be back on my feet. I have to be up and about for my party, which I'm also getting organised. The invitations have been made and sent, as of last week. I'm trying to get as much done as possible before October 12th, since after that I want my attention to be on healing.

That's what has been going on with us lately, in case you were wondering...
___

Photos: Surgery , MIL and Pooch: personal collection

14 comments:

-R- said...

Wow! You really have a lot going on right now! I don't know what to say except that I will be thinking of you and your MIL. Oh, and the puppy is so adorable.

stinkypaw said...

-r-: Yep, can't really complain that I'm bored at the moment!
Thanks for the thoughts and Cathy is 14 years old, not a puppy anymore, but an old adorable old pooch!

Anonymous said...

I am keeping you in my thoughts, and sending positive energies your way. I hope all will go well with your surgery. I didn't know it was coming so soon.....I am thinking about Aunt & Uncle too.

As for Cathy, she'd better plan on being here for a while yet, we planned more "vacations" together. Hee Hee.

Cousin.

Paisley said...

Good luck with everything! That is a LOT of stuff going on.

As far as the waxing...the lady I go to said that she'd rather give birth again than get a Brazillian because it is so painful. She said that VEET works just fine (hair remover). I tried VEET on my legs b/c I have a hard time shaving right now and it is great. Waxing sometimes grows in itchy, too...you may want to just do the hair remover for that "special" part of it all and wax the rest like normal.

Just my two cents. :)

PreppyGirl said...

The pooch is so cute! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. I'll be thinking of you and the surgery. I'm sure all will go fine.

I don't know about the waxing but it will probably be a better result than simply shaving.

Bonne chance mon amie!

stinkypaw said...

cousin: Thanks for the thoughts and good vibes, I'll take anything you send this way! I'm sure you ladies will get some "vacations" together again!

paisley: Thanks! I think I'm more scared of the Brazalian than the actual surgery! So Veet could very well be the option! Thanks!

pg: Merci c'est apprécié! There's still a few weeks left before, but like I wrote cousin, I'll take any good thoughts at this point! :-)

Jason Stockl said...

I would NOT recommend putting cream depilatory (VEET) on or near your privates!

That stuff is stronger than perm chemicals and it burns your skin, and down there, skin is SENSITIVE!

Especially before surgery, don't take chances...

stinkypaw said...

jason67: Well, thank you for the info J67! I thought about that also... there's also too many little "nooks & crannies" for me to feel "confortable" with chemicals...

I'm thinking it will either be waxing or shaving... LIke you said don't want to take chances before surgery. Thanks!

don't call me MA'AM said...

Eeek... he said depillatories. My skin is crawling just from the bad memories (which means I also agree with him).

As for the waxing vs. shaving... you have to do what you think is best for you. :-)

Good luck with everything, and I'm glad to hear that, even though the circumstances aren't the best, that your relationship with the MIL is growing!

Oh, and what a great looking pooch!

The Scottish Tart said...

After shaving/waxing/whatever you finally choose, smear a bit of stick antipersperant/deodorant down there - gets rid of any bumpies and redness and sort of soothes the skin underneath. I learned that? From a stripper.

You're welcome. And many good health blessings for an easy recovery, friend.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's A LOT going on for you right now! Good luck with your surgery, I'll be sending good thoughts your way. Glad to hear the situation with the MIL has improved even if it's only temporary. It sucks when you have to deal with stress from the in laws. I think that's part of why I'm still single!!! ;-)

stinkypaw said...

dcmm: Thanks! I'm leaning towards waxing (a little discomfort on the spot), but I don't find it itchy after...

I guess something good always comes out of every bad situations, we only have to take the time to see it...

Can't wait to see her paler version (your pooch)!

swp Thanks friend! I'll try that for sure! And your source "must" know what she's talking about! ;-)

ananke Too much on my plate if you ask me! Honestly! Something has to give and I hope it won't be me!

Trust me, when it comes to in-laws, being single is THE BEST!!! I miss those days of not having to deal with any of that! (even if I do love my husband!)

MiMaw said...

Oh my goodness. When it rains, it pours! I had a hysterectomy (vaginal) when I was 29 (cancer) but they left my ovaries. I don't remember them shaving me so either they didn't or it wasn't a big deal when it grew back. I went through early menopause (at age 38) but Premarin helped me through the worst of it (only took it for a few months). I don't regret having it done, cancer gone, periods gone (woo hoo!) and it made my Polish Prince realize he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me (we got married later that year).

Sorry your MIL is going through a rough time, but glad you're getting along better. I absolutely adore my in-laws!

I probably told you a lot more than you wanted to know!

stinkypaw said...

mimaw: Happy to read that despite everything you pulled through and even got married - there's always something good no matter how bad it is - it's just harder at times to see it!

I wish (at times!) that I could say the same about my in-laws...

BTW, I have a serious weakness for Polish men! ;-)