Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Gift of Giving

Here's something I wrote (with a little help from Hubby) to express how I've been feeling regarding my yearly project of adopting a family in need at Christmas, and some issues I've been facing with some...

To keep with the spirit, I wrote it Christmas Story style...



‘Twas a month before Christmas, when all through the house,
I started organizing, with the help of my spouse;
A Christmas basket for a family in need,
For whom, my first objective, was really to feed.

Our friends I contacted by e-mail,
Hoping their generosity would not fail;
At once their responses came,
It was clear they were not lame!

What is this I hear?
Some of you may fear;
Christmas they do not celebrate,
Regardless, hunger must dissipate.

What does that matter?
Petty rivalries must shatter;
It’s not about a personal belief,
But to bring some relief.

No wonder the world is in disarray,
If charity only goes one way;
Hunger is agnostic,
Giving is fantastic!

Simply lay a hand,
And try to understand;
The meaning should be clear,
To spread some Holiday Cheer!

To give and share,
What you have and can spare;
To put food in a belly,
Help some to be merry.

It is not about religion,
Or any other reason;
Share some love with all,
That’s the meaning of Christmas, after all!

___

Image: The Gift of Giving

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the poem, and the sentiment.

stinkypaw said...

ts: Thanks! I worked hard on it because this project means a lot to me, and to see people backing out of helping because of religious belief is just a little too much for me...