Thursday, December 21, 2006

It beginning to look a lot like Christmas…

…Well, not really outside. We have no snow! None! It’s cold, but nothing on the ground.

I feel thorn between the fact that I love these “winter conditions”, but I also love to have a white Christmas. As I’m getting older, I get scared to drive on snow, ice and whathaveyou, but at least the snow “cleans” up everything and brings this peacefulness. Nonetheless, Christmas is around the corner, can you believe it? Unreal!

Today is the day, as far as I am concern, where I will experience (in every sense of the word) the true meaning of Christmas (for me at least): tonight, we (with the help of Hubby and a loyal, generous friend) will deliver the goods to my adoptive family.

This year I was assigned a family of six: mom, dad, three girls and one boy. They are Palestinian, and from the little conversation I have with the mother and father, they haven’t been here that long, because they don’t really speak much English or French.

I managed to get enough information to find out their sizes for clothes & shoes. Again, despite a client deciding to withdraw its participation because the family is Muslim (thus my frustration expressed in my little poem the other day), I am happy to see that we have very generous friends.

The main goal of the organization I go through is to give them food for a Christmas dinner and breakfast. I, with the help of our friends, go WAY beyond that. We have food for them, for at least a good 6 months in canned goods and household supplies. Yesterday I went to do their grocery run, for all fresh produce ($356.70 worth) including: fruits, vegetables, meat, poultry, bread, etc. Our garage is full!

Also, I made sure that each family member gets new socks, undies and pyjama (spent $205.85) as well as one gift. Yes they are Muslim and don’t celebrate Christmas, but I think it is about giving and I don’t know anybody, from whichever religion or race, who doesn’t enjoy receiving a gift! They will also get 8 big bags of clothes (used but clean), 2 bags of toys and I always make sure to get them a disposable camera which includes the photo development for free.

I really feel blessed to have friends and relatives so generous, who are willing to participate and give A LOT of food, money, clothes and toys. I wouldn’t be able to do it all without their help, at least not like the Extreme Christmas Basket.

I will meet the family for the first (and last) time tonight. I’m so excited and I’ll make sure to bring some tissues (I tend to get a little emotional at times... damn hormones!).

6 comments:

lizgwiz said...

That's such a great thing to do! (Though too bad a little prejudice had to enter such a wonderful endeavor.) We used to sponsor a family at one of my old jobs--it always felt great.

I'm afraid I must disagree with you on the White Christmas, though. Ever since I ended up sitting alone in my house on Christmas Day a few years back--no dinner, no presents, no PIE, no nothing--because the roads were too bad to drive to my parents, I've considered "White Christmas" to be fighting words!

Anonymous said...

Wow. You are such a good person. Big hug to you and your friends and family. At least THIS Christian can recognize the true meaning of acting like Christ and not judging others.

Merry Christmas, girl! =)

Anonymous said...

I hope it goes well! I am sure they will appreciate all the thoughtfulness and hard work (and money!) that went into this.

Merry Christmas!

stinkypaw said...

lizgwiz: It feels great to do it too.
That Christmas must have been the pitts, poor you, alone on Christmas - I don't wish that to anybody!

c_t_w: And a very merry Christmas to you and yours! Thanks!

-r-: I think they did. They seemed touched besides being a little overwhelmed. Merry Christmas!

Attila the Mom said...

What a wonderful and thoughtful project!

I have goosebumps.

Wishing you and your family a very warm and happy holiday!

xoxo

stinkypaw said...

atm: Thanks, and the same for you and yours!