Monday, February 05, 2007

In case you were wondering...

Princess Slea asked me a question about the meaning of the candy and money in the envelope we received at our friends' father funeral. Like her, I did Google it and couldn't really find anything about it, so I asked our friend.

Here's what he answered; for those of you (like Princess Slea and myself) who are curious to know:

The writing on the envelope means "lucky money". Usually when somebody passes away, it's bad luck, but this is his way of returning some luck to the people.
Eat the candy, spend the dollar on anything, but don't keep the change.
For example, if you buy something that's worth .75$, and the change is a quarter, leave the change. Hope that helps.
Also as for our religion, immediate family can't celebrate anything this whole year, no birthdays, no father/mother's day, no anniversaries, no celebrating whatsoever.
And we're supposed to fast for 7 weeks, only vegetarian.
And we have to go to temple for praying every Sunday for the next 7 weeks.
Buddhism is really complicated, with many rules. I personally don't really follow it, but do it for my dad.


To say the least, that is an interesting costom. I find Buddhism very interesting from what I've read about it. I think I should seriously look into it a little more...

Thanks Larry!

4 comments:

Attila the Mom said...

That IS very interesting. Thanks for posting it!

lizgwiz said...

Very interesting. I know about (and really like) the major tenets of Buddhism, but nothing really about all the little customs and traditions. I should learn more.

stinkypaw said...

atm: My pleasure! Love your new picture btw!

lizgwiz: I should too, because I do find Buddhidm quite interesting.

princess slea said...

yes, thanks for finding the answer. very informative.