Thursday, June 07, 2007

Indecent Exposure to Cars

Last summer I posted something about all the activities we have in the summer in Montreal. I heard of a new one happening this weekend and I just think it’s too funny.

Last weekend was the “Tour de l’île de Montréal”; some streets were closed for this annual event. It went on for a few days, with a night tour, a tour for kids, than on Sunday it was the Big tour – over 30,000 cyclists took part in this. It’s been happening for years. We did it once. Way too many people for my taste, but I’m happy I experienced it at least once.

On Saturday, Montreal will be the host of its first “World Naked Bike Ride”! Yep. You read correctly. I knew we were an open city, that we have an open mind (I think it’s the French thing), but I had no idea we were that “open”. All around the world, cyclists will ride naked on Saturday.

This should be an interesting sight. I wonder if the chafing will be an issue for some? Will they put something on their saddle to prevent it? All this to be heard (I guess I should say "seen") for a cause: protesting oil dependency.
I do think it’s a good cause, but I can’t help to wonder if it’s really to attract attention to the cause or to simply ride a bike naked?

The Montreal Police and City Officials said they would not interfere with the naked cyclists.

Check out their website: World Naked Bike Ride , maybe they’ll be riding in your city as well…

Check this one as well, and read some of the FAQs, too funny.

___

Image: WNBR

7 comments:

Kim said...

lol...I've never heard of this before!

I was going to say that I'm going to stay the heck out of Montreal this weekend and then I found out that they're doing one in Ottawa too this Saturday...what will they think of next?!

Anonymous said...

It's the whole being naked and the bike "seat" thing that really makes me very uncomfortable....and really, WHAT is the point of World Naked Bike Ride ??? The world's a crazy place in which we live in !!!

lizgwiz said...

Well, that just sounds...uncomfortable. I hope they have nice padded seats, at least!

Purple Pigeon said...

laughing my ass off at ''Officials will not interfere with naked cyclists''!!!!

I read those FAQ, funniest one was the ''What about the children? Aren't they especially at risk from the adverse consequences of seeing naked people? '' because of course they will be mentally scarred from seeing *gasp* a naked person!! Jeez.

stinkypaw said...

kim: It's a "world" thing, scary ins't it?

mousse: I'm sure it will make them a little more uncomfortable than you sitting on that bike seat naked... ;-)

lizgwiz: Let's also hope for no fall - talk about "major road burn"!

p pigeon: It's funny 'cause I read the same one about the children! he

Anonymous said...

You know I'm going to follow that link! The seat...ewww. You'd have to have a huge bike basket because you'd have no pockets to carry stuff. Would it be weird to wear sunglasses if you're riding nude? :)

stinkypaw said...

shopper: They "strongly" suggested that people wore their helmets though!