Tuesday, January 13, 2009

From a tickle to a rash

The merry-go-round has started… between the damage evaluator, the insurance estimator, the contractor and even some neighbours; our place feels busy of the late.

Last night, while relaxing watching some pre-recorded show on television, Hubby mentioned the timing of all this sucked. I didn’t say anything, but my brain was screaming: “Oh yeah, it would have been much better next week, after the vet’s appointment!” I do understand what he means; just we were really starting to feel at home here, this happens. We had finally found the light fixture we wanted which was not only looking good, but was also generating enough light for us to see, without going into too much details, all we needed to see while standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom. It took us over a good year of trials and searches to feel like we had not only a home, but also a refuge. Our refuge. The place where we were protected from them (‘them’ being the morons)… or so we thought. Despite our best effort, no matter how much we resisted, they did manage to infiltrate our refuge.

We like to be home, just the two of us, and having this incident, will not only create a lot of “brouhaha”, but also a lot of work. Today alone, Hubby lost over two hours of billable time to be here to meet with the appraiser, and a contractor. That time and money represent a lost for us, which no insurance will cover. When they will start the work, since it is mostly gyproc damages, it will be Hell. The amount of dust and crap this stuff generates is like a baby the first few months of its life, i.e. lots of craps for something so little.

I do want to apply the Law of the Garbage Truck; life being ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it, but at times, I swear…

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh God, that happened to us the other day. All of sudden my roommate's bathroom is raining because the guy above us didn't make sure his shower curtain was inside the bath tub. Um, dude. You're a door knob. Grr.

I am so sorry that this is happening to you but I love the garbage truck saying.

Green-Eyed Momster said...

Hope you'll get through all of this with laughter and your sanity!!

Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

are the neighbors at least begging for forgiveness?

lizgwiz said...

I'm so glad I don't have neighbors whose homes TOUCH mine. ;)

Sorry you're having to deal with the aggravation--sometimes life just has to kick you in the teeth a bit, I guess. Sigh.

Annake said...

It's time for Operation Revenge. The next time the idiot neighbor leaves his garage door open, sneak in and leave a little "surprise" on his car seat. OK, maybe not but it's nice to fantasize about doing things like that to morons. ;-)

Hope things get taken care of quickly and everything gets back to normal.

Charlie said...

Knowing that you're an optimist, your home will be nice and fresh once the exorcism is complete.

I hate to say this, but I'll say it anyway: it's comforting to know that all the idiots haven't emigrated to the U.S. . . .

BTW, do you want Mr. Bush after next week?

And what a filthy "secret word":
copher.

JoeinVegas said...

So, two intelligent neighbors, one that left the door open and froze the pipes, one that left the faucet on.
Be careful, do you ever wonder what they think about you?

kara said...

love the new blog design! everyone's getting all creative and junk in the new year. makes me want to redecorate.

stinkypaw said...

PPPaws: It does suck, but we'll see...

greenduckiesgirl: Welcome to my blog! Thank you and hoep to read you again soon!

Traceyt: Thanks, I hope so as well!

Monkey: Not really. I don't think they even realise the extent of the damages.

lizgwiz: I know what you mean, this is a whole new experience and so far... not that pleasant!

Annake: Send me one of your voodoo dolls, ok?

Charlie: So you think I'm an optimist? Hummm... inteesting. Maybe I'll get a Feng Shui master to "clean up" the place. The secret word isn't filthy... it reads interesting! ;-)

JoeinVegas: Welcome as well to my world, and to be honest I don't worry too much about others think of me, they don't seem to do it that often! ;-) Come back, anytime!

Kara: Hey, some worked on their tans or relax time, others worked on their blogs! ;-)