Monday, April 27, 2009

"The mind is like a parachute, it works best when it is opened."

Today we watched “The Spiderwick Chronicles” and I loved it. I really enjoy anything that has to do with imagination.

Growing up I read a lot. I always had a book handy. Any spare time I had I was reading. I remember going to the library two to three times a day. I was reading basically anything. As I grew older I started to read some of the stuff we sold at the store. In those days we had those “photo-roman”, I’ve read so many of them. Then I went to the “Harlequin” type books with their love stories. How I loved those. I’ve always been a softy for a love story. I had (and still do) such a vivid imagination that I read through those feeling every emotions described, and imagining myself in such situations.

I was a big dreamer in my teen years. I was a complete difference person in my mind: I wasn’t shy, nor average, I was a girl guys liked… that was all in my head though. I had real friends, but never mentioned how my fantasy life was. Later on I lived vicariously through some soap operas characters. I never chose the popular one; I prefer the more discreet one… Anything supernatural I enjoy. I’m a romantic (I know!) and can almost be hopeless at times. For the last two weeks I’ve been reading the “Twilight” series, and I must say I love it. I’ve always been fascinated by vampires, starting with Dracula. I was an avid fan of “Buffy”, then “Angel”, I even watched “Moonlight” (for a short time, since it wasn’t aired that long).

I’m realising that I still have an active imagination and can take a line from a book and run with it. I can’t help it, I just do. I’ve been wondering how it might be for those of us who lack imagination and only enjoy things that are “real” or “seen”. It must be so “beige” (couldn't really find the right word here...) to live your life like that.

Recently I told Hubby that I believed in magic, and he looked at me funny. (Granted, Hubby doesn’t believe any anything but himself, so…) Magic is what we make out of everyday things, events, chores, life! I truly believe it is as magical as we want it to be.

If we can believe that there is a God, Evil, Angels, and such, why can’t we believe that there is also fairies, elves, witches, werewolves, etc.? It might be chance, odds in our favour, timing, but what if? Why are we so afraid to believe? Why are we so doubtful? Is it because we fear the unknown? Why do we have to have an explanation for everything? Do we need to control that much?

I wonder… If one asks for a sign and gets it, is it chance or simply projection of one’s wish? Some might choose to say “it was just luck”, instead of accepting it as a sign, but what if…

11 comments:

tNb said...

Luck, chance, magic, science or religion ... whichever way we choose to believe, the important thing is to embrace it and recognize how fortunate we are!

Charlie said...

Wow, what a thoughtful, imaginative post! And a Buffy fan to boot!

I don't know that I've ever lived vicariously through a character, but sometimes I put myself in their shoes and empathize with their situation. That, to me, is the "escapism" of reading...

And yes, I have received two signs in my life that were too vivid and real to be anything else. I should blog about them.

Green-Eyed Momster said...

Oooooooo! I love these subjects!

MOONLIGHT WAS THE BEST SHOW, EVER!!
Talk about eye candy! I could watch that guy 24/7!!

I don't believe in God and there are too many reasons to list here. I have practice Witchcraft in the Wiccan faith but not anymore.

Wow, you just opened my mind up and I might have to do a post about it!

Green-Eyed Momster said...

Thanks and hugs!!

Jason67 said...

"Hubby doesn’t believe any anything but himself"... LOL!

cinnamon girl said...

Beige is exactly the right word to use, it's the word us native speakers would use in that context ;-)

I so agree, a good imagination can infuse daily life with magic, or maybe help one see the magic already there.

I'm not Wiccan, but I practise a generic form of Paganism, and what you write relates to that so much. I often wonder how much is my mind making connections between random happenings, and how much is just 'magic'....

I think I got into it because I've always had a vivid imagination and an active 'fantasy' life inside my head...

And I often think it doesn't matter whether it's real, only whether it works. If the world seems a richer place thinking there are fairies at the bottom of the garden, then go with it!

kara said...

You watched the Bold and the Beautiful, didn't you.

flurrious said...

I wouldn't say I believe in fairies or elves and the like, but I see no harm in the stories themselves. It's no different than Santa or the Easter Bunny to me; I don't think they exist, but it's sometimes nice to pretend that they do.

stinkypaw said...

tNb: Hear, hear!

Charlie: You should, you've picked my curiosity now!

Traceyt: Glad I inspired you! :-)

Jason67: Well, you know him!

Cinn: Why am I not suprised that you would have a rich fantasy life? If it makes us get through the dreary days, why not!

Kara: LOL, too funny, but no, I never did actually!

flurrious: No harm done and it can be fun! a good combo ;-)

Site manager said...

I totally believe in signs, and many times I know I have gotten them. Some people roll their eyes when I tell them but I KNOW that is what they are.

I also have a vivid imagination and love to read and have lived vicariously through any number of people in books and on TV for as long as I can remember!

Anonymous said...

ARGH! I left a huge comment and lost it all. Here's the basis:

I believe in just about everything. I'm going to have to post about this - it's just what I've been looking for the Encyclopedia of DM - I is for ideology.

I do, however, refuse to believe in Twilight. Real vampires do not sparkle. Plus Angel and Spike far outweight Edward in hotness any day.

Books you might enjoy - Charlaine Harris - the Southern Vampire series (Sookie Stackhouse) and the Harper Connely series - she was struck by lightening and now can find bodies and know how people died. Really cool.