Tuesday, December 20, 2016

It's Christmas Time... already...

As I sit here, not moving too fast, since every time I move a wave of nausea hits me or I get very dizzy, and this for the past two days now, I think it is time for me to post about me hitting the BIG 5-0.


Despite the way our trip started, with a six hours delay leaving YUL and the three first days of rain, we did have a great time during our week away in Dominican Republic.  The resort was nice, beautiful property, and the staff was really pleasant. We met some interesting people, relaxed and enjoyed being away. 

While we were away, we missed the first snow fall - what a shame! - we came back in time to get ready for Christmas.  Since my mother is now a snowbird, it simplifies the family visiting time a lot. Not a bad thing, really.  Makes life simpler, less coordination and feeling like we have to, rather than want to.  I've had two Christmas parties this far and one more is planned between Christmas and New Year with his mother's side of the family.  It will be a calm and somewhat quiet Christmas this year, especially since it looks like Hubby will have to be available, if not working.

We had decided to get that Murphy bed unit a while back, for the spare room, and it was delivered and installed the week of our return.  We are very happy with the end result.  It not only looks good but will contain a lot of stuff, and our visitors will have a bed to sleep in!


 

Following that day of installation, our house feels, to me at least, cluttered, since all the stuff (and there was a lot!) that was in that room was dispersed throughout the house.  I've been filling up the new unit, but some of the things left to be put away don't fit, so I'm stuck with things that I don't know where to put.  Plus, to add to everything else, I wanted to do our Christmas tree, so after a visit to our storage unit we came home with more boxes.  Long story short, the guest room is back to being full of boxes.

It's not easy.  I want to get rid of stuff, and we did in between moves, but like Hubby so often says: ¨We have way too much shit for two people¨.  He's right, but how do we get rid of it all?  I have many boxes of Christmas ornaments, collectables, to name a few.  I'm planning to re-evaluate my ornaments as I take down the tree in January.  Things I haven't used in the past few years will be leaving the house, one way or another.  I've started sorting as I put up the tree and will do some more later.  It will not be an easy task for me, given that the ornaments I have were chosen, one by one, as souvenirs from different trips or received.  When we had the space (to store) I did a rotation, some year I would use some, and not the following year, but if our storage space will now be limited, I have to think about this better.  I will keep what I use, and will get creative with what I keep. Challenges up ahead!


On this challenging note of what is to come, I want to wish you a very merry Christmas!

No comments: