Monday, December 04, 2006

This time of year...

I remember our winters, with snow banks higher than some houses, and schools being closed for days because of a snowstorm. That doesn’t happen much anymore. I think Mother Nature is going “through the change” (read menopause). Why do I think that? Well… the past few years the weather has been pretty erratic. It doesn’t snow like it used to, at least not in the Montreal region. We never know from one day to the next what the temperature will be like. Before after the first snowfall, we knew we were in for a few months of cold weather and snow. It’s not like that anymore…

Last Thursday, it went up to 15°C (about 59° F), which is a bit warm for this time of year. It felt more like spring was coming instead of winter. Friday we had our first ice storm of the season – everything was covered in a thing layer of ice. It made the trees beautiful, even if a lot of them broke down from the weight of the ice. It made the roads and sidewalks slippery, lots of little accidents occurred. Mid-afternoon was the worst; freezing rain. Then yesterday we had a small snowstorm. It was beautiful! Everything was covered in white and all day big snowflakes came down – a real Christmasy feel and look.

I just love this time of year – with the snow covering all the ugliness and dirtiness of the city. With all the decorations and lights, it felt and looked like Christmas was coming.

I love the quietness snow brings, as well as its peacefulness. Today, the sun is shining, the snow is melting and a thin layer of slush is covering our roads. It is now the time to fill up on windshield washer fluid, because within minutes of being on the road, you can’t see anything, one of the ugly faces of winter in Montreal.

Speaking of Christmas, yesterday Hubby sat down and signed all our Christmas cards – we sent 90 this year – I sealed them all and even managed to mail them. I also wrapped some gifts!

I’m happy to report, not to piss off anybody, I’m done! Yes, you read correctly, I’m done with my Christmas shopping and all. I’m done! I’m so done, I’m crispy!

It feels good to be free! Now, I can really enjoy Christmas and focus on my “adoptive” family. Time to get cooking and baking!

____

Image: Christmas Shopping

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We aren't doing cards this year. We can't even find time to get our tree up. Good for you! That's awesome.

Hate to say it, but I think that mother nature's "change" has something to do with Global Warming. Did you see An Inconvenient Truth?

eek.

Anonymous said...

I would let SkippyHusband help...but he is only capable with stamps...crap handwriting...lol...

I know, it is the thought that counts, eh?

Congrats on the 90 cards wow!

Hugs

Anonymous said...

Oh...and may I add...I hate you. ;D

Bah - all your Christmas shopping done? That is absolutely NO inspiration SP...none.

Can you come visit? giggle...

Anonymous said...

[hope this doesn't repeat; Blogspot had a brain cramp]
LOL! I love your "the change" metaphor :> Flakes in the air here yesterday, but that was it; just the chill that comes after a hot flash. Good for you on being done! I wonder what that feels like...

stinkypaw said...

paisley: Thank you! Sorry to read that life is keeping you so busy.

I'll keep an eye out for that movie, I just find it sad and upseting that we can't even rely on the weather either!

skippymom: Hubby only sign the cards, I do all the rest. As for the shopping I'm one of those who shop 'year-round' so, by the time Christmas arrive there's not much to do!

yez: Welcome to my blog! Yes, blospot had yet another brain fart! I most likely refer to "the change" because I'm going through it and it sucks! Just like the weather! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I love when the snow covers all the dirt of the city and the flakes fall like you're in a snow globe. That's what it's like here today.
I'm jealous that you're done. I hope I get there soon. I truly love Christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

"the flakes fall like you're in a snow globe" Preppygirl, great image! And it's an anagram. We're in a snow-e blog, here %-}

Spaw, it's a pleasure to be here. (That email's coming, just like Christmas - and I'm not done yet on either one :> )

word verification: zttpt (the sound of a snowflake shorting out a streetlight)